SRT Track Limitations

Bob Pommer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the roll bar issue one of the height of the Roll hoops or is it their strength?

If it is their strength, then why cant they be reinforced while keeping their appearance?

If it is height, what is the ruling on clearance of helmet to top of roll hoop?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the strength first and the height second, depending on the height of the driver and if the seat is lowered. Both the people working on track sufficient bars have addressed both these points, although depending on driver height the seat lowering might have to be done as well. Both of these bars are designed to allow a return to the stock configuration with little evidence of their installation in the event the car is to be sold. The Autoform bar appears to me based only on preliminary discussions and pictures to be slightly more appearance friendly when installed.

I do believe that someone could design a bar that would fit the current interior cutouts and be track worthy with the installation of a removable diagonal brace, but I discussed this with autoforn & sent them some pictures of a Lotus Elise removable brace and they felt people would find installing and uninstalling the brace to be too much work. I do disagree with them on that point.

As for myself, I'm happy to install the harnesses and arm restraints and see where my times fall at the Illinois Club events. If they're below 1:37 at Gingerman, then I will consider installing the aftermarket bars, or just sticking with autocrosses where the stock bars are a non-issue.
I also may look into the NASA track days as I am not particularly worried about putting a wheel off - I tend to drive well within my limits on a track, not slowly necessarily, but always with a comfortable safety margin.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the RT/10 got away with it because it was slower, and also because when it started there was no hard-top option and no GTS version.

I do know that because it was new all the first tracks I went to limited me to a few passing zones and they kept me in classes that prevented me from going to fast.

The last issue may be because there have been so many crashes by Viper's at events?

Tony Estes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron (Viper SRT) the roll hoops on the SRT-10 are NOT just cosmetic. They are designed to carry the weight of the car. They are equal to or better than the sports cap on the old RT/10.

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Viper Days doesn't require any more safety equipment on the SRT-10 than they do on the RT/10 both require a roll bar or a hardtop.

I hope this clears up the confusion.

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, a noticable difference is that on the RT/10, if the hardtop comes off in a crash, sliding sideways across the car, there is little chance of the top itself causing an injury. On the SRT, there appears to be a much greater chance of the top creating a problem due to it being a full top with hard sections that come all the way down to the trunk/fender level. Conveniently located to cause head / neck injuries.

For myself, I would be much more comfortable with a better rollbar rather than a hardtop alone with the stock aluminum style bars.

Unfortunately, for me this is getting very academic as my car will evidently not be built in time to run the Illinois Gingerman event I was planning on attending. Nuts!

luv2race2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just didn't realize it took 1 month or more to complete. I was hoping to get some feedback from them. I had archer an email and they have not responded. I have a chance to take it to Laguna Seca in 3-4 weeks and want to know if I have to build one of these myself? or wait for them to come out?

Will roll hoops be ok to put on the track or are they going to want a 4 point cage...etc?

If the hoops would be ok, then I believe whoever comes out with them first will sell quite a few to us viper owers who want to track the car!!! We waited a long time to get the car...I want to go play!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang