SRT10 vert and sell Cobra vert or GTS and keep Cobra?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
03/04 Cobras do NOT have forged bottom ends. The pistons are hypereutectic.

The only way you are going to run 20 pounds of boost on a stock engined Cobra is if the timing is backed down from 23 degrees max, or you use racing (100 octane or better fuel). The Cobra engines like high octane fuel.

It took me 25 pounds on my 2.8H to make 718rwhp with a built bottom end and reworked heads using straight 100 and 21 degrees max timing..

Ted...If you have some time
modularfords.com

When Keith Black invented Hypereutectic Pistons they were sold as forged If you look at the inside of normal/old cast pistons you can see the steel plates cast into the pistons to add support in the wrist pin area. Hypereutetci pistons don't need or have the steel plate wrist pin stiffeners. Hence the forged/cast piston confusion.

I did look at modularfords.com and the Edelbrock TS (or is it a quad rotor?) supercharger kit and was impressed. However the description said "Support" 7-800hp which tells me that a max hp would be between 7-800hp with other mods. Any idea what the kits hp #s are? 40% is considered a 'safe' hp increase.I spoke to a VCA member in the Pacific NW that was running 1000rwhp+ with a Roe and he used a 300hp Nitrous kit for added intercooling but hadn't dyno'd with the Nitrous. The Nitrous could add as much as 400rwhp because of the supercooling effect of the Nitrous (on his 14psi Roe) along with the extra combustion of the Nitrous and fuel.

The price of the Edelbrock kit at under $6,000 is a screaming deal. I can't imagine a GT engine holding together at double the hp for very long. What is the compression ratio of the stock GT engine? Not being designed as a Forced Induction engine I would have assume the engine would grenade at high hplevels. The Saleen engines we were shown were mostly 430hp(?) and custom built in their shop with race engines and ported heads.

Thanks for the link. I may try and talk a friend into buying it for her GT vert and see how it works.

Ted

OP
OP
M

mstang1988

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ted,
I'd be interested to know how long that Roe combo lasts until it pops and if he has anything else done to it. It's like the hellraiser by helion on the 03/04 Cobra. 1000+ rwhp on a factory motor but umm, for how long?

Hellion Hellraiser Dyno Video - SVTPerformance

Compound Boost 2003 Mustang Cobra Twin-Turbo - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

The pistons of the Terminator Cobra's are made by Zollner from my understanding and aren't the best forged pistons but indeed are forged. Zollner is now out of business and the reman engines are most likely Mahle. I haven't had my block apart yet to confirm though so we can agree to disagree on this for now.

I am going to assume it's a 05-10 GT and I don't believe the 05-10 have internals that are going to handle any real amount of power. Here are the real results from a Edelbrock Tillman Speed Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger Results! Big Auto Numbers! - Ford Mustang Forums

Looks to be around 450, 500 as the limit on factory internals. how much power can the 3v 4.6 handle??? - Ford Mustang Forums

Saleens are meh, overpriced tuners IMO.

Good luck with whatever you do on it.

Here is a thread with a variety so you can get a baseline of numbers.

What Power Adder Do You Have on your 05+ - Page 13 - ModularFords.com

When Keith Black invented Hypereutectic Pistons they were sold as forged If you look at the inside of normal/old cast pistons you can see the steel plates cast into the pistons to add support in the wrist pin area. Hypereutetci pistons don't need or have the steel plate wrist pin stiffeners. Hence the forged/cast piston confusion.

I did look at modularfords.com and the Edelbrock TS (or is it a quad rotor?) supercharger kit and was impressed. However the description said "Support" 7-800hp which tells me that a max hp would be between 7-800hp with other mods. Any idea what the kits hp #s are? 40% is considered a 'safe' hp increase.I spoke to a VCA member in the Pacific NW that was running 1000rwhp+ with a Roe and he used a 300hp Nitrous kit for added intercooling but hadn't dyno'd with the Nitrous. The Nitrous could add as much as 400rwhp because of the supercooling effect of the Nitrous (on his 14psi Roe) along with the extra combustion of the Nitrous and fuel.

The price of the Edelbrock kit at under $6,000 is a screaming deal. I can't imagine a GT engine holding together at double the hp for very long. What is the compression ratio of the stock GT engine? Not being designed as a Forced Induction engine I would have assume the engine would grenade at high hplevels. The Saleen engines we were shown were mostly 430hp(?) and custom built in their shop with race engines and ported heads.

Thanks for the link. I may try and talk a friend into buying it for her GT vert and see how it works.
Ted

Last edited:

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you already have a Cobra Vert, I would suggest a GTS if you want a totally different driving experience (raw Viper with a top versus a more refined Cobra with no top). I have a GTS and a SRT10 Vert and think it is a great combo if you have 2 "toys", completely different driving experiences.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I suppose you're referring to the big power Roe? He does drive it, which is more than 99% of poeple with that much hp. But, I suspect that it'll last him forever as the car is too dangerous with that much power. He only drives it now when he wants the huge power. He takes it out gets on and goes home I think. Not much point in a car that flails the tires at 150mph and everything under that. He has it and I wouldn't ask him to go me on the street.

One girlfriend (with a GT said that there are a bunch of various kits on many Mustangs near Van and they run 450 -500hp and blow up after that. she won't do the kit because she has other toys and wants an ordinary DD. My Shelby GT500 buddy feels that after 800hp even on his 5.4L you're just asking for trouble and he said that his 618hp is too much because of the wheel hop. He's gonna wait until the wheel hop is gone and then do a pulley and another tune.

since I've got 500hp in my Stealth R/T TT AWD and my 440 Duster (+250hp Nitrous) I guess I'll keep hook my Nitrous bottle up over the winter and keep the cars I Have. Myave I'll trad my Duster for a sc'd GT? values are about the same.

Good luck.

Ted

OP
OP
M

mstang1988

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would keep the Duster and if you want a GT get a used cobra or z06 instead. I got my cobra for something like 16K. GT's just don't have umph and they don't hold any value. 94-99 Cobra's will drop during winter but be back up at 10-13K during the summer. The teksid blocks are fantastic although they need some internal work! If you can spring for a little more though, get the 03/04. Fun cars, run strong, don't break unless you really abuse them. T56, iron block, IRS, 400hp or so from the factory and 500 or so with a few thousand. They truely are a bargain.

Don't blame you with the viper, it's hard to put your life an anothers hands like that. Heck, driving a 1K monster might be more then I would want to do but I'll hopefully find out someday.

I suppose you're referring to the big power Roe? He does drive it, which is more than 99% of poeple with that much hp. But, I suspect that it'll last him forever as the car is too dangerous with that much power. He only drives it now when he wants the huge power. He takes it out gets on and goes home I think. Not much point in a car that flails the tires at 150mph and everything under that. He has it and I wouldn't ask him to go me on the street.

One girlfriend (with a GT said that there are a bunch of various kits on many Mustangs near Van and they run 450 -500hp and blow up after that. she won't do the kit because she has other toys and wants an ordinary DD. My Shelby GT500 buddy feels that after 800hp even on his 5.4L you're just asking for trouble and he said that his 618hp is too much because of the wheel hop. He's gonna wait until the wheel hop is gone and then do a pulley and another tune.

since I've got 500hp in my Stealth R/T TT AWD and my 440 Duster (+250hp Nitrous) I guess I'll keep hook my Nitrous bottle up over the winter and keep the cars I Have. Myave I'll trad my Duster for a sc'd GT? values are about the same.

Good luck.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I sold the Stealth R/T TT thenI'd be stuck driving a 4x4 quad cab pickup all winter. NO!

The Stealth TT's All Wheel Drive and All Wheel Steering at 3800# means that I have the best handling, stopping and fastest vehicle in the West Chilctoin. There's NO 7,000# pickup gonna keep up with my Stealth. Even a 1000rwhp Cummins Diesel (there's a couple of those in town and a lot of 500rwhp ******'s diesels out here). Can't use a 2wd most of the winter and I hate to be slower so my 500hp 3800# Stealth does everything better than all pickups and all 2wds. I also don't think my neighbor's Subaru has a chance. My 'short trips' are 400miles so the 25mpg(US) is also much better than the wife's Hemi (at 17mpg).

Duster is parked all winter and Viper gets storae insurance week after next. One our fresh 4" of new snow melts I'll do one more Viper drive (400 or 1,000mi.) then park it 'till spring.

As much as I'd like to keep the Duster ... just because (one of the cars I won that should be aprreciating in value), it would mean no more buying cars. I have too many cars and not enough money(?) or garages. Too many parts as well.

Ted