SRT10 Viper Paxton and Nitrous

avenged8fold

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did a search on this and nothing came up. I am curious to see if any of you guys with the paxton kit have experimented with a small shot of nitrous, maybe a 50 or 75 shot. I am curious to see before and after numbers and whether it was on a dry or wet kit. Small shots of nitrous are known to do wonders on any forced induction application and I wonder if a 50 or 75 shot will take an 8 psi paxton SRT10 from 700 rwhp to 800 or 850 rwhp. Would that be pushing the envelope on a stock cast internal engine? Thanks

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One must be careful when applying greater cumbustion chamber pressures with cast pistons along with NOS. There is a fine line of going beyond those capabilities. I would NOT do any more than a 75 shot along with the S/C. I have a Paxton, but it's PLENTY without adding the NOS. Putting the power to the ground is the key (obviously), and you wouldn't be able to use the NOS until 3rd gear, and then prograssively at that.

OP
OP
A

avenged8fold

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It just sounds to me like a little bit of nitrous would help greatly lower the intake air temperature, specially after a hard run on the stock crappy paxton heat exchanger. I know the upgraded DLM heat exchanger and intercooler pump will keep the car from getting hot but at $1,000 it's not pocket change especially after a $6,500 blower kit. I hear guys are losing over 50 rwhp from run to run, that would be about half a second down the track. I have a used nitrous kit that I can jet for a 50 or 75 shot. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had success doing this.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i called NX and asked them about for my GTS. was told a 35-40 shot was gonna equal about 100rwhp cause of the cooled intake temps.

OP
OP
A

avenged8fold

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, so maybe a 40 shot will be sufficient, do the injectors that come with the paxton kit be able to support the 8 lbs of boost and compensate for a 40 shot as well? How stressful would a 40 shot of nitrous on top of the 8 lbs of boost from the blower be on a stock cast internal engine on the SRT10's?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe taking the stock engine over the standard Paxton kit will begin breaking parts rapidly.

The existing Paxton kit seems to be the Goldilocks of Viper horsepower.

Lots of examples of people enhancing the standard kit, and running into reliablilty problems.

For a stock tire'd car, the Paxton seem to deliver just about as much as the driveline can endure.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Wouldn't add nitrous to a Paxton car with the stock internals.

Paxton uses stock injectors.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You are much safer and more efficient adding a **** injection kit on your paxton to cool the intake charge over the nitrous. Methanol is also WAY cheaper than nitrous is.

OP
OP
A

avenged8fold

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much cooler does the **** injection cool the intake charge? Any examples of intake temperature readings before **** and after **** with the paxton @ 8 lbs?

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How much cooler does the **** injection cool the intake charge? Any examples of intake temperature readings before **** and after **** with the paxton @ 8 lbs?
Visit snow performances website for everything you ever wanted to know regarding methanol injection.

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The addition of water injection with the Paxton isn't really a power adder as much as a helper against detonation. If you add water injection and retune you can add horsepower, but then you're back to pushing the envelope. If the injection fails after the retune, you could be in even worse shape.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Boost Cooler on my S351R which has a 12 psi pulley and a 408 stroker now. I say now because the heat and lack of forging on the internals made the engine go "boom".

Actually the previous owner pushed it and had catestrophic piston failure in #3 piston. The car was okay when I bought it. He had just spent almost $15K in forging all the internals but I did not get it dialed in properly until I added the Boost Cooler. The S351R does not have an intercooler for the supercharger which is just a flaw. I can get away with the Boost Cooler to make up some of that heat difference. It really does help.

On the Viper, I have no experience yet, but in our lovely Rocky Mountain air (or lack there of) it is almost a necessity on a charged vehicle at these altitudes. IMHO

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Randy is correct (Viper R).

If you add water / **** injection without a retune, you will loose power. If you retune for the water / **** and run out of water / ****, your engine may go boom.

I'd advise you to stick with Paxton kit and upgrade the intercooler.

Dan

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard many times that the stock pistons on the 2004 are pretty much crap. What pistons do you guys recommend to upgrade to running a 200 shot of Nitrous. I want no "BOOM" Thanks guys

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang