Stainless Steel Brake Lines Any Good?

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just seen west coast vipers SS Brake lines for $185. anyone have em? are they any different in quality than lets say stoptechs $400 set?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it seems like more positive stopping power, ya know when they are gonna stop and how they are gonna stop.

Bill M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anytime we install stainless steel brake lines it has made a big differece in brake feel and power.

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dimitrios,

The ones from WCV are $185 per axle.....i.e. the set runs $370 total. I e-mailed them because I thought it was $185 a set as well.

On another note, does anyone know if they are a pain in the rear to install?

Frank

Bill M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installing stainless lines isn't too bad. Just make sure you bleed them really well.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
city, i dont remember the brand but it was a good deal at the time and i love them.

they are easy to install and like said above...just bleed them real good.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
--- cheesy thread hijack ---

They go well with 40mm rear brakes, and VOS can install them (they're local to me!)

--- apologies, back to brake lines ---

Don_

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i love the ones i put on from jonb....much better feel in the pedal.
Plum:

Which ones does JonB sell?

He sells the stoptech ones... just doesn't specify it on his website.

How about the SS brake lines from snakeoyl? They sell for $200. What's the difference from the snakeoyl ones compared to the stoptech ones? Must be some sort of a difference for double the price...

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the inside diameter is one of the more important parts of the line. Some tend to be smaller than oem.

Bill M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dimitrios, yes we can install the lines for you after the dyno tune. Just let me know if you want us to get the lines or if you are getting them.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i love the ones i put on from jonb....much better feel in the pedal.
Plum:

Which ones does JonB sell?

He sells the stoptech ones... just doesn't specify it on his website.

How about the SS brake lines from snakeoyl? They sell for $200. What's the difference from the snakeoyl ones compared to the stoptech ones? Must be some sort of a difference for double the price...

Where can you find the Snakeoyl lines? Is it $200 for both front AND rear lines? Thanks!

Don_

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where can you find the Snakeoyl lines? Is it $200 for both front AND rear lines? Thanks!

From what I have found, the $200 does include the lines for front and back. I haven't ordered them myself yet, since I wanted to find more feed back.

Here is the link

Doc.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure what brand I have, but I do have stainless steel lines on both of my Vipers. I highly recommend this upgrade.

Doc

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score

From what I have found, the $200 does include the lines for front and back. I haven't ordered them myself yet, since I wanted to find more feed back.

Here is the link

Cool, thanks for the link... I'm surprised the brake lines are that inexpensive from Snakeoyl, as their products are usually priced at a premium. Then again, SS brake lines are a lot cheaper for other cars, so I'm sure there's a Viper tax in there somewhere :)

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks Bill, im gonna get my own. Hey guys are these Snake Oyl any Good? dont wanna rish lines failing and stuff do to low price. I can do $200 or $400. But if the $400 are the same as $200 why not settle for the lower cost ones. BTW thanks for all your help guys

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The inside diameter must be the same as stock - if it is not you will spend the money twice!!!

Lets get real here - you are trying to save money on stainless brake lines?????
YOU ARE PUTTING THEM ON BECAUSE RUBBER LINES ARE A SAFETY ISSUE!!!!!! NOT A TIME TO BE CHEAP

You should be thinking "QUALITY"
This is where JONB comes in - this guy has forgotten more about Vipers than many other parts supplier know.
If he sells it, its the real deal and you want it on your car.

Installing Stainless brake lines - be very sure you have no twist in the lines - if you do the brake fitting will come loose.
Also - tie wrap the lines to the upper A-arm - I've seen these rubbing against the rims - just a matter of time before they wear thru.

Stainless gives you a firmer pedal and therefore better pedal feel - it doesn't expand like rubber does.
If you are putting your car on track - you should have the stainless lines.
I've been down that road and its no fun when a rubber line fails at high speed under max braking.

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One additional thing worth considering: are the lines DOT approved? If, for some reason, the lines happen to leak/burst and result in an accident, your insurance company could refuse to pay if they find non-DOT approved lines. Also, SS lines are supposed to be replaced on a periodic basis; dirt/grit can get into the ss braid and wear away at the inner liner.
The above was a subject of raging debate a while ago on a Porsche racing list; from personal experience, I've had an ss line start leaking on rear brakes of my old college ******. I've also noticed that the factory ss lines on my Ducatis have a clear vinyl sheath over them, which seems in line with the dirt/grit issue.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets get real here - you are trying to save money on stainless brake lines?????
YOU ARE PUTTING THEM ON BECAUSE RUBBER LINES ARE A SAFETY ISSUE!!!!!! NOT A TIME TO BE CHEAP

You should be thinking "QUALITY"
This is where JONB comes in - this guy has forgotten more about Vipers than many other parts supplier know.
If he sells it, its the real deal and you want it on your car.

I don't think anyone is trying to be cheap... rather, I don't think anyone wants to spend more for the same thing. In my experience, most SS brake lines are just rebadged Goodridge lines. It's not rocket science, so I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to make a quality product. $400 for Viper brake lines versus $125 for the same lines on my Supra... I really think the difference in price is a Viper tax (or, it may simply be a matter of low production numbers).

I think someone mentioned a concern of mine, which was sand/debris messing up the stainless steel lines. There was a huge debate on this in the SCCA community... I think most decided to just check/change their SS brake lines more often than the stock ones.

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the StopTech SS lines I bought from JonB. These are nice because they have very nice mounting brackets and arms which help route and standoff the lines from the suspension components. Others I have seen do not have these features, which always made me worried that a line would get caught or start rubbing on something. Some people cable tie the lines, but that looks cheesey to me - no need to do this with the Stoptech lines. The StopTech kit is the best I have seen.

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My Stop Tech SS lines have worked great. My front calipers have orange lettering, I don't know at what temp this happens but it’s damn hot. The brakes have held up well; I did not notice any appreciable fade the last tine on the track. I am currently running Motul 600 fluid and brakeman 3 pads.

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how are those Brakeman 3's? I have them in the back and the car started squeking like a locomotive.

In the front I use PFC 01's and they are great except they dust like crazy. Last time at the track the dust attached itself to the chrome on the wheel, it took weeks to get it off.

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I haven't tried PFC01's, I use the brakeman 3's because I am keeping them on for street use. The squeal is not too bad for me, but they are very dusty.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96