Starter/Solenoid Issue

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 97 GTS that due to my work tends to sit for months on end without being driven or run (6200 miles). When trying to start it up this past weekend I had nothing but the clicking sound that comes of a dead battery or a starter issue. The battery is a brand new and charged Optima red, so no issues there. My question is, is there a way to difinitively determine if in fact this is a starter or a starter solenoid issue? I can deal with replacing those items in my garage if needed, but I really don't want to have to put the car on a tow truck to haul it to the nearest dealership to determine the issue. Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Richard

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
While I do not share any enthusiasm for Optima Red Tops, you might first consider checking the voltage in the battery. If low, try a full charge from a real battery charger approved for the Optima (not a float or trickle). If still no luck, I would check the battery cables at the battery terminals and then the connections at the starter.
I would strongly suggest that if you use a battery charger with that special extra amperage button often labelled "boost to start" that you DO NOT USE THIS OPTION as it has been linked to blowing more than a few Gen II Viper PCM's.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
R

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, yes I checked he battery with a voltimeter. Will check the connections at the starter as I haven't tried that.

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once you've verified all the connections, check the voltage at the battery posts in the engine compartment while having someone trying to crank the engine. If it maintains voltage, the starter/solenoid is suspect. If the voltage drops considerably(under 10V), the battery is suspect.