Stock/Kevlar/Carbon-Carbon Clutch?...

Reaction score
Let's say for instance that DLM is pumping 1000+ HP out of your Viper (GEN-1). The "Track" is pretty much out of the question now, and there will be little if any Drag Strip action. However, there will be a lot of the usual "hang-on while I nail it" sort of action (until CA Law causes car to be impounded) along with every day Northern California traffic...

I need a clutch that will handle this type of driving style and engine. Doug want's the stock clutch, JonB sold me a Kevlar clutch, and Ben Treynor switched his Kevlar for Carbob-Carbon (I think?). I've had Carbon-Carbon in a Porsche before, and it was pretty much binary (on/off). It was a little tense on the street. I know nothing about a Kevlar clutch, but I do know from Kevlar brakes that they take a while to heat up. However, I do own a new Kevlar clutch and it's sitting at DLM right now. What to do! Any ideas from the Pros? I would, of course, go with Doug's suggetion but he's leaving it up to me and I simply don't know...

Thanks!

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a Kevlar clutch in my Supra... it was only 600 rwhp, and not 1000+ like yours, so take the advice accordingly:

The feel was GREAT. I did not like the triple discs, or the carbon clutches, because like you mentioned, they were too binary. The kevlar one felt like stock, but definitely held up better. I never had to "warm it up" before hitting the gas. If you break it in correctly, the kevlar should hold up very well for you. It won't heat up as quickly, but from what I've heard, that is a good thing... you don't want it to slip.

I bought mine from Southbendclutch.com. Read up and see what you think... I'm sure that the physics are the same. Or, give them a call up...

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't help too much - I know most of the Houston drag crowd uses stock clutches.

I know I saw an ad/post by Albert Chouber that he was running a different clutch. He has 850+ rwhp and has run 9.5's. You might want to give him a call at the House of Power.

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys!

I just heard that Doug prefers the stock Viper clutch (for what I'm doing). I guess DC did a good job designing it.

JonB talked me into the Kevlar (it's still in the box), so now I have to see if he'll trade me back for a new DC factory clutch. I assume the factory one is less...