Stock Koni dampers

Rickman6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of changing the stock springs on my GTS-2000 for EIBACH lowering springs. Whilst I'm doing this I would like to check all 4 koni shocks are equally
set and adjusted. Found these instructions on the koni's home page.
Remove the shock absorber from the vehicle and hold it vertically with the lower eye or pin attached in a vise. Use clamp plates to prevent damage.
Fully collapse the shock absorber, at the same time turning the dust cap or piston rod slowly to the left (counterclockwise), until it is felt that the cams of the adjustment nut engage in the recesses of the foot valve assembly.
Some shock absorbers include a bump rubber concealed under the dust cover and it must be removed prior to adjusting.

The damper may have already been adjusted. Therefore check whether the shock absorber is in the adjustment position or not by keeping it collapsed and gently turning it further to the left counting at the same time the half turns until a stop is felt. Stop turning then and do not use force.

Keeping the shock absorber collapsed, make 1 half turn (180 degrees) to the right (clockwise). In case of prior adjustment add the number of half the turns previously found. The total range is about 5 half turns.
Pull the shock absorber out vertically without turning for at least 1 cm to disengage the adjusting mechanism. The dust cap or piston rod may now be turned freely.

ADJUSTING DIRECTION
Clockwise = Firmer
Counter Clockwise = Softer

My question is how I'm supposed to remove and install the bump rubber after adjusting / checked the settings of the shocks?
Anyone have experience on this or have some idea ??:confused:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I has a slot(like a donut with one side cut) she just slips on and off. once you see it youll understand. no prob.

like this:

You must be registered for see images

I recommend stiffening them up about halfway to better match the new springrates.:2tu:

Last edited:

rocco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can the stock konis on my 98 be adjusted to be lowered

OP
OP
R

Rickman6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, However, there is no bumber rubber on the stock Koni damper as per your picture...only a piece of thin plastic "cover" which is split and easy to take off but sureley that's not the " bumber rubber" ?? The only "bumber" I can find is mounted on upper part of the damper rod and does not look like it will come off in a hurry plus putting it back will be a real challenge...anyone know what I'm talking about?

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rick,

Your bumper is likely stuck(where it is supposed to b) in the top shock cap(blue)(red in this pic) but you cant see it because it is hidden by the aluminum spring top cap.(which isnt shown in this pic)

Your bumper is similar to the white part in this pic that is not of a vipers koni shock but rather an image i dug up to illustrate.

You must be registered for see images

I assume you have not taken the shocks off the car yet?
You will not get to the removing the bumper part utill you get the shock assembly of the car and the springs off the shocks(by compressing the springs and sliding the aluminum cap out)

OP
OP
R

Rickman6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The shocks are out and the stock springs off...however, the bump rubber as I see it now is not possible to remove without " slitting" as it is mounted on the rod at Koni upon assembly...so now I have to figure out if it's worth it (probably is as I wish to know for sure the shocks are set properly) and how I can "glue them back" as I guess it is to risky to just leave them out...

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they're slit from the get-go, but it won't hurt to slice them yourself. Just do a clean job with a sharp blade. They will not disappear after you reinstall them. You can also buy new bump rubbers from some of the bigger mail-order houses like Demon Tweeks in Europe.

OP
OP
R

Rickman6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Viper friends
I found the slit in the bumper rubber and they came off very easy! I set all four shocks the same by timing the rebound ( 40 sec )
From fully depressed and it's roughly 2 turns I.e half the full adjustment as you guys recommended !
The eibach springs are mounted so the next step is to re install the shocks on the car.
Thank you all for your help...the VCA rocks
Brgds Jan