Stock shifter ball question.

Donuts4me9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently got a gen 3 shifter (ball and shaft) for my gen 1. Does anyone know if it is posible to take the shaft out of the ball? It won't come out easily and I don't want to break it. could it be loc-tighted in? please help !

thanks,

Scott

SRTLEN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The ball is not supposed to come off but I managed to remove mine and had the machinist at work shorten the shaft one inch.
The shift pattern cap can be pryed off. Underneath you with see just black epoxy. The epoxy can be carved or drilled away to expose the top of the shaft. There is a washer that is tack welded to the top of the shaft. Once exposed I used a punch that was small enough to sit inside the washer directly contacting the top of the shaft. Placed upright in an arbour press in a makeshift holder that didn't damage the ball it didn't take much effort to break the tack weld. Once shortened I just epoxy glued the shaft back in.
A long description I know, hope it helps.
Len

Reaction score
One thing we an do is to remove the rubber portion between the shaft and the actual shifter. This modification will lower the knob about 1.2" and is easy to do but the shifter will need to be out of the car. You will also have more positive feel but maybe a bit more vibtation, not a draw back for the extra feel.

Mark Jorgensen

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang