Stock TPMS - are they wheel specific?

Valentine61

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2006 SRT/10: I removed my TPMS sensors to have my wheels re-finished. I numbered the sensors/wheels to be sure they go back on the same wheels. But does this matter? Are the sensors wheel specific?

Does anyone know how the system works... I mean, does a module talk to each wheel by "name", or is there a module near each wheel which talks to the closest sensor...?

Any insight is much appreciated.

Thanks.
MM...

Reaction score
They are calibrated for each wheel position so if you get them on the wrong ones they will just indicate the wrong tire is low.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
2006 SRT/10: I removed my TPMS sensors to have my wheels re-finished. I numbered the sensors/wheels to be sure they go back on the same wheels. But does this matter? Are the sensors wheel specific?

Does anyone know how the system works... I mean, does a module talk to each wheel by "name", or is there a module near each wheel which talks to the closest sensor...?

Thanks.
MM...

To elaborate on what Mark says.....when unprogrammed sensors are new, out of the box, they are memory-less. They can go anywhere. Once the dealer (or CAAP) or a tire-store programs a Right-Front sensor, it should stay there. Technically speaking.

But on a VIPER, all you get is a chime, and "LO TIRE." It does not say in the display which one! If you access with a scan-tool-DRB3 it tells you....but who does not have a tire guage?

SO: Does it matter the position? not really....... all you get is a LO TIRE and a chime.

PS Your BUTT and BRAIN should be able to sense and tell you which one is going low...but not at 6PSI low !

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Soon after I got '09 Six spokes wheels and tires on my 08, I had the tire warning light on.
My Dealer found one of the sensors was bad, replaced it and did the relearn procedure using the DRB-3 scan tool and 8821 magnet, takes only a few minutes to do.
I was told all Vipers still use this old school method, as on most new cars since about 06, it reprograms itself automatically when the car is rolling.