stoptechs vs. abs

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have an '01 car currently at heffner's and i cant decide on if i should upgrade my stock brakes. i have a feeling it is the weakest link, but the ABS advantage is a nice one to have. i know you cant defy the laws of physics, but any opinions?

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You won't be deleting the ABS feature of your brakes by upgrading them to Stop Techs. You will have Stop Techs with ABS. A great set up IMHO. :)

OP
OP
R

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are you serious? more info, i thought i lost the ABS when i swapped out to stoptechs......

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are you serious? more info, i thought i lost the ABS when i swapped out to stoptechs......

Absolutely NOT, you retain your ABS with the Stoptech system, pads will last longer, stopping distance is improved, zero fade on the track and GREAT customer service.

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just had the Stop Tech big brake kit installed on my 2001 ACR (with ABS) and agree with what has been said above. The ABS is not lost. These brakes are a great upgrade. I got the red calipers and they look great on my yellow snake. The rotors are slotted, not cross drilled, the way I like em.
Good luck.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Redsnake - what they said :) The only caution I'll offer is that you can't fit 16" wheels over the Stoptechs, so if you have drag racing aspirations, be aware you won't be able to fit the usual Purner slicks & skinnies setup.

That said, BFG now offers a 345-30/18 g-force drag radial which WILL fit a rear 18" Viper wheel, and will be enormously helpful in putting all that supercharged power to the ground. I've even got (smaller) pair myself:
You must be registered for see images

Both Stacks Blowin'

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

The Stoptec Big Brake system 14" Discs (sorry Rotors) requires 18" wheels, the small Brake kit will fit the standard 17" wheels on early Vipes.

I run the 14" with 18" BBS's on my 97 GTS, a friend in the UK Club runs 13" on the standard 17" wheels on his Venom 500. Hope this helps. :) :) :)

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have an '01 car currently at heffner's and i cant decide on if i should upgrade my stock brakes. i have a feeling it is the weakest link, but the ABS advantage is a nice one to have. i know you cant defy the laws of physics, but any opinions?

Smokin has the StopTechs - do you really have any choice?? :p

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had a similar choice to make for my 2002 and, while I considered StopTech, I choose Sean Roe's 14" front upgrade.

I wasn't sure if I needed a 4 wheel brake upgrade or just the fronts. The Roe kit simply relocates the stock caliper, so the cost is mostly just hats and rotors. Obviously, this makes the switch less than the StopTech front system which includes new calipers. Going ths route also leaves the door open to upgrading to the StopTech calipers in the future with little price penalty. Finally, If I ever want to make the jump to the StopTech 4 wheel system, the only "extra" parts I have are the caliper relocation brackets. When you upgrade from the StopTech front only kit, you have to purchase a another set of front calipers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang