Strange buzz from rear compartment...

mak1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today, I took the Viper for a long ride. When I got home I parked "her" on the driveway. When I passed by the car a couple of hours later I heard a strange buzz coming somewhere from the area behind the cokpit (maybe the fuel tank).. It sounds like a pump or a fan... Could it be the fuel pump relay that in some way is jammed and therefore runs the fuelpump after shutting down the ignition?? I tried to start the car and shut it down again, but the battery is now empty and the car is jammed into a corner on the driveway, making it impossible to jump-start..:(..
Anyone who has a clue where to start searching for an error:confused:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Still buzzing with low battery? If so, feel fuel pump relay for heat, vibration...then disconnect if active. If sound is fuel pump, disconnect relay...report back.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone who has a clue where to start searching for an error:confused:

Since you've used this particular forum, it's assumed that your's is a GEN II, but in the future providing more information about your car is helpful...year, engine modifications, etc. ;)

OP
OP
M

mak1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input!

My biggest problem was to find the relay. Now when I found it, I saw that the relay was filled with water (drove the car in heavy rain the other day). Once I disconnected the relay the buzz stopped. I will now dissasemble the relay to find out if it´s fixable... Since I live in Sweden (Europe) there is a problem in getting parts right away....:(

Once again, thanks for a quick reply!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Sorry that I did not identify location...Gen I's fuel pump relay is in the middle of a large black cable that courses across the top of the open trunk, just inside and under the decklid hinges.

Gen II's relay is on the lower left (driver's side) of the trunk/hatch space.