Strange "clunk" sound coming for rear

2002_red_gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently got a complete rearend rebuild from unitrax but shortly after I start get a weird clunk sound coming from what I think is the passenger side rear. At first when I noticed it I also noticed that I had a low tire from a nail. i put air in the tire and I couldn't get the sound to reproduce but today on a cruise it's back and louder. It happens only when I apply gas at low rpms or if I'm rolling forward and go in reverse. to me it feels like the drivetrain has slack In it and when I apply power and everything tightens up the clunk happens. But once the load is applied it's fines. Its just when I come off/on the gas. Any ideas? I'm thinking a u joint maybe? Any help would be great so I have an idea of what to look for when I crawl under her tomorrow

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might wanna check engine/transmission mounts while under there. I would definitely jack it up and take a look in the back for contact evidence.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What differential do you have? Mine does that all the time but it's the OSGiken Superlock "pop."

That aside, as part of any routine maintenance on your car you should torque all the suspension and diff housing hardware, as well as the rear hubs. Check your wheel lug torque, u-joint straps (which should have been replaced...), calipers and so on.

You did remember to add oil to the diff right? lol

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sound you describe is usually a bad universal. Check your drive shaft and your half shafts universals. Easy way to find the "slack" is with both rear wheels in the air ON JACKSTANDS, have someone turn the wheels forward and backward while you watch from underneath. You should be able to see where the play is coming from.

OP
OP

2002_red_gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sound you describe is usually a bad universal. Check your drive shaft and your half shafts universals. Easy way to find the "slack" is with both rear wheels in the air ON JACKSTANDS, have someone turn the wheels forward and backward while you watch from underneath. You should be able to see where the play is coming from.

So if I have some on spin the tires back and forth I should see where the play is coming from? Also I've read it could be the rear hub assembly like the bearing in there? Could that be it? Can you just replace the bearing

OP
OP

2002_red_gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well after crawling under the car and pulling the drive shaft, checking all the u joints and checking all the bolts it turned out to be a bad tranny mount. Which now makes sense since I was having trouble hiting 3rd gear when I had the car at red line. Here is the busted mount
You must be registered for see images attach

Just incase anyone is looking to replace there I ran to to parts store and picked up an Energy Suspension Tranny mount for RWD GM cars and it works like a charm for $30

OP
OP

2002_red_gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might wanna check engine/transmission mounts while under there. I would definitely jack it up and take a look in the back for contact evidence.
hit the nail on the head. I'm guessing that my motor mount will need replacing to any recommendations

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well after crawling under the car and pulling the drive shaft, checking all the u joints and checking all the bolts it turned out to be a bad tranny mount. Which now makes sense since I was having trouble hiting 3rd gear when I had the car at red line. Here is the busted mount
Just incase anyone is looking to replace there I ran to to parts store and picked up an Energy Suspension Tranny mount for RWD GM cars and it works like a charm for $30
For information sake, I tried the same mounts on a 97 and it lifted the trans to high, the shifter would hit the top of the tunnel. I bought the Woodhouse trans mount and it installed without issue. The second problem was the resonant vibration I picked up at 2500 rpm. They are easy to change, right now I went back to the oem mount and install the Woodhouse mount for the strip.

OP
OP

2002_red_gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For information sake, I tried the same mounts on a 97 and it lifted the trans to high, the shifter would hit the top of the tunnel. I bought the Woodhouse trans mount and it installed without issue. The second problem was the resonant vibration I picked up at 2500 rpm. They are easy to change, right now I went back to the oem mount and install the Woodhouse mount for the strip.

Ok good info I have a Hurst shifter and Im not having any problems with it hitting the tunnel and I don’t have any vibration at 2500 rpm. I wonder why that is when i compared the height they where almost identical

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang