Strange Idle

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something is off on my car and I am wondering what..... The Car idles a bit strange sometimes goes up to 1500 rpm and then back maybe three times before it warms up. The other part is it seems a bit off on throttle and excelleration but, hard to say on city streets but I feel some vibration in the wheel sometimes when I come to a stop. I am thinking it may be the BBK TB or a sensor but, no lights. Anyone have any thoughts on this would be appreicated. This just started last week.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Running lean? Did you pull the plugs and check? oxysensor? Got a Vec or AEM on it?

What other mods besides the TBs?

OP
OP
C

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
04 Vert K&N Corsa DC tune (mail in) I just changed out my BBK TB
Back to my X-metal I am going to try it in the morning see if there is a change. Seems to idle ok now but, the last time the idle got weird was after about 7 miles of driving.
No I have yet to pull the plugs but, there not very old I guess I should look at them and see if there is something strange looking. Do you think if a sensor was going bad it would throw a light?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not familiar with the Gen 3 TB, but do you have to remove or unplug the IAC to change the TB? Reason I ask is that on a Gen 2 unplugging the IAC causes idle problems for a while until it relearns.

OP
OP
C

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disconnected the battery and then went and disconnected the sensors from the intake and the TB Total of 3

Not familiar with the Gen 3 TB, but do you have to remove or unplug the IAC to change the TB? Reason I ask is that on a Gen 2 unplugging the IAC causes idle problems for a while until it relearns.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then it is very likely that one of those is the IAC (3 sensors = IAC, TPS, MAP) and it may be your car just has to relearn. If I'm right, the remedy is driving the car. Damn........

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My idle is doing the same thing (staying up at 1500) and started after an SCT tune. It does it cold and hot. Goes to 1500 for several seconds and then falls back to normal. Any ideas?

Mine is a Gen 3 with B&B headers, no cats, cold air and VS 93 octane tune.
Thanks

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depending on when you got that BBK TB it may be the TB. They had an issue with those for a GenIII and finally redid the return springs.

OP
OP
C

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the updated BBK and it had worked ok till this started last week. The first BBK was a real joke. I am going for a test run this am with my x-metal TB which never had a problem and see if it takes care of the problem. I wish I could put my finger on this but it seems it's going to be hit and miss.

OP
OP
C

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glen I am thinking that may be it also. I changed the TB and it didn't seem to make a difference so I am wondering. Did you ever get a onboard light?

Chris, I had the same type of thing with my gen 2 sever years back throttle sensor.

OP
OP
C

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I found so far is that it's not the TB but for some reason when the fan turns on the motor really drags. I think it may be the fan pump. Anyone ever have a problem with these?

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the fans run off hydraulic pressure from the power steering pump. I suppose if there is something wrong with the fans it could create a drag on the pump which could effect the engine since the pump is belt driven.

OP
OP
C

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking the pump may be a problem. I went by my viper tech and he said it's possible and that if one goes bad the other probably ( steering) not far behind since they share the same oil. He recommends changing them both. He told me the Jeep Cheroke has had pump problems and it's the same. The one thing I have noticed about my car is that the hose setup is a bit substandard I have had several hose fittings dripping different types of fluid. I have fixed all under warranty but, I would like to install some nice braided hoses with better fittings when I get my stimulus check.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery