Strange noise coming from my trans/clutch

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a loud "whirring" noise coming from my trans or clutch. It only happens at low speeds; typically around 35 to 40 mph. It comes and goes as suddenly as if it were wired to a light switch. Its worst when the car is cold, but sometimes happens when the car is warm too. If I depress the clutch while the sound is happening, it reduces the noise but it doesn't go away entirely. If I release the clutch, it gets louder.

The car has done this since I got it, but lately it seems to be getting worse. Anyone else experience this or have any idea what it might be? The car is still under warrantee, but I wanted to find out what it might be before I take it in.

Thanks for the help!

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Usually if the noise goes away when you press on the clutch pedal (disengage the clutch) and comes back when you release the pedal (engage the clutch), the problem would be inside the transmission.

A whirring noise typically would be a bearing.

It could be the throw out bearing though.

As long as it is not an intermittent problem the dealer shouldn't have a problem diagnosing/fixing it.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with ILLSMOQ . Sounds like a throw out bearing but I would also have a look at the pilot bearing inside the crankshaft that the transmission input shaft rides in.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant