Strange noise from gts

Whoaa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ive noticed over the past couple months that the car is making a wobling sound. I originally thought it was a wheel bearing. I replaced the assembly, which turned out needed to replaced anyway, but the sound is still there. I dont really notice it until about 40 mph or so and it increases with the speed. the sound is there regardless of what gear im in, the clutch in or out, and foot on the gas or coasting. Any ideas?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Final drive joints are rpm independent, but would be more clunk than wobble. Suspension & diff mounts are also rpm independent. And might make the wobble sound. I think its time to get the car in the air and investigate. Pry, poke, prod, torque here and there. Eliminate the easy ones first.

OP
OP
W

Whoaa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Coming from the front of the car or the back?

It sounds like it is coming from the center transmission area of the car. My car is very very loud so it makes it difficult to tell. I recently got new gears put in and it does not sound like it is coming from the rear, nore does it sound like the typical howl that a differential will make.

OP
OP
W

Whoaa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well the gears have a couple thousand miles on them and yes i have been romping on them after the breakin period!!!! ;)

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check Tranny mount(pull it off to get a good look) and then start by tightening all the rear end bolts. I have heard of these coming loose. In fact, since you seem to have just switched them out, that would be my guess as to where the noise is coming from.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32