Strange noise while idling.

NOTVETTE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a stange noise coming from my '04 SRT-10. 2300 miles, never tracked or raced (yet). Noise just started. I would describe it as a squeek but its lower in frequency so I will call it more of a squawk. It occurs when engine idling whether clutch in while in gear or clutch out in neutral when standing still. (I first noticed it while standing at a traffic light). Sounds like its from the engine compartment area and seems to be related to what I would say is normal engine shake at idle. I can watch the gear shift lever and when it shakes or vibrates a little more than the lesser vibrations you hear the pronounced squawk. This is not meant to imply the motor is running rough at idle. I don't believe it is. There is a certain amount of gear lever vibration during idle and the mechanical movement seems to vary. This seems normal to me. Cannot isolate the source of the noise with the hood up or even which side it is originating from. Any ideas? Thanks.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure its not just your fan? It would tend to go on when you stop. If not, test the car with the A/C off and the A/C on and see if there is a difference. Do you have any mods?

OP
OP
N

NOTVETTE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Checked the belt: like new, tight, automatic belt tensioner seems normal.

Not the fan. Doesn't matter if AC on or off. No mods, completely stock.

Slight increase of engine RPM's makes go away. Only happens at idle. Approximately one squawk per second on average but irregular in timing. Again, seems to be related to engine vibration or shake at idle. I checked motor mounts, they are tight.

Thanks for your replies. Keep them coming.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Check the Harmonic Balancer Bolt (middle of crank pulley)

The balancer will make a squeak/moan when it starts slipping on the crank, and it would coincide with the engine vibrations as that is the times the crank is changing rotational speeds, which is the cause of the vibration.

If it is loose, get the belt & pulley off ASAP and check for crank/balancer damage. If its OK, red-loctite & re-torque the bolt to prevent it from recurring. (130 lb-ft, 13/16" socket)

OP
OP
N

NOTVETTE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I don't know if you consider this loose or not. It certainly wasn't finger loose, but I had to ratchet it approximately half a turn before 130 lb-ft was reached. May have been 50 lb-ft.? I didn't want to wake the neighbors at 1 AM so I'll start it up tomorrow to see if that cured it. I'll let you know. Thanks for your input.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well, I don't know if you consider this loose or not. It certainly wasn't finger loose, but I had to ratchet it approximately half a turn before 130 lb-ft was reached. May have been 50 lb-ft.? I didn't want to wake the neighbors at 1 AM so I'll start it up tomorrow to see if that cured it. I'll let you know. Thanks for your input.

If that was it, I HIGHLY advise taking it back out and taking off the damper to check the crank. It should be a press-fit.

And just for reference, putting the car in 4th and yanking the e-brake is the best way to keep the engine from turning over.

OP
OP
N

NOTVETTE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan,

I tested the car early this morning. Noise is gone. But it's only 50 degrees here this AM (near Rochester, not far from you) so I'll test it again when 80+ later today to be certain. (Want all conditions exactly the same as when normally hear it).

Looked at the service manual. So the pulley is separate from the balancer? Are they both press-fit? Is it a tapered shaft on the end? They mention a special tool for removal/reinstallation. Maybe better take it to a dealer? Its still under warranty.

Thanks for your help.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan,

I tested the car early this morning. Noise is gone. But it's only 50 degrees here this AM (near Rochester, not far from you) so I'll test it again when 80+ later today to be certain. (Want all conditions exactly the same as when normally hear it).

Looked at the service manual. So the pulley is separate from the balancer? Are they both press-fit? Is it a tapered shaft on the end? They mention a special tool for removal/reinstallation. Maybe better take it to a dealer? Its still under warranty.

Thanks for your help.

Pulley unbolts, balancer is press fit.

Shaft is not tapered.

You need a small pulley puller to get the balancer off, that is basically the special tool.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NOTVETTE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ran car late this afternoon in the 85 degree heat. The noise is still there. I don't believe is balancer. Used a stethoscope on engine. Seems more pronounced on right side engine exhaust header. I'm leaning towards something contacting exhaust system on engine side of flex. Need to get on lift to do thorough inspection. No time tonight to get it on lift.

Back to square A. Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
N

NOTVETTE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan,

Been on vacation. Finally got it on a lift. Found the problem: The heat shield for the passenger side exhaust header was contacting the vehicle frame. The engine vibration was being conducted to the shield and a corresponding rub on the frame causing a sqawkiing sound after wearing the paint through. Can't believe how much quieter the car runs now (not considering the exhaust note); before I was getting conducted engine noise and vibration in the cockpit and I thought it was normal since its done it from day 1. Thanks for your help. Your balancer suggestion probably save me a future problem.

Terry

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I had the same issue when my 04 was new. It took me a while to find it too. Sorry I didn't read this sooner.

Glad you found it.

My damper bolt was loose too.

Dan

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan,

Been on vacation. Finally got it on a lift. Found the problem: The heat shield for the passenger side exhaust header was contacting the vehicle frame. The engine vibration was being conducted to the shield and a corresponding rub on the frame causing a sqawkiing sound after wearing the paint through. Can't believe how much quieter the car runs now (not considering the exhaust note); before I was getting conducted engine noise and vibration in the cockpit and I thought it was normal since its done it from day 1. Thanks for your help. Your balancer suggestion probably save me a future problem.

Terry

I was just about to reply saying same thing, then i saw your post. Glad you found it. Mine did same thing,sometimes would go away, other times very loud and embarrassing at a stop light. Bent the heat shield and no more noise. Now just the rumble of the V10.:2tu:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi