strange noise

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snake eyes. Mine does that EXACT same thing. I have no idea though
frown.gif
. I put it up on the rack last time I changed my oil and played around with it but couldnt find anything obvoius.

I just accepted it. The thing is built built like a truck. But if you find any answers i would be curious. If I find any Ill let you know also.

Id take it to the Viper tech but im sure I would hear "Oh . . . They all do that" Just like when my C5 brakes would stick at 60 MPH until they would get so hot they would warp and shimmy.

Good Luck,

G

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by snakeyes:
I've noticed the last couple of days that there is 'pop'
sound coming from either the steering or suspension. It only does it at certain times, such as taking a turn too quick, but not every time. Thought maybe one of the lugs were loose, but that wasn't it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know that in diagnosing the problem the year matters. Probably. So does the mileage. Stock? Have an outside observer localize the sound. 'Front sounds' CAN actually emanate from the rear hubs.

Jim Sullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 94 sometimes makes a "pop" noise when I back out of the garage and turn the steering wheel to the right. I looked it over real good, top and bottom, but found nothing wrong.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now, I have NO idea if this may help or not (I have it on good authority that I am not a good authority): My GTS was making a "popping" sound on slow turns, especially tight turns and when turning in reverse. It sounded like it was coming from the front end and I had my power steering fluid changed as a precaution. Didn't change a thing. Thought that perhaps the Porsche brake deflectors were hitting the front wheels when I was turning and removed them. The popping noice continued. Then took it to the first Dodge dealer - they didn't have a clue and sent me on my way.

After posting the problem here on the boards (and sounding a lot like yours) I took it to another Dodge dealer. The Viper tech listened to me tell him what was happening. Never even looked at the car.

"Did you ever change the rear differential fluid on this car?"

Yep, a month earlier.

"Did they put the 'limited slip' additive in it?"

No idea.

Just to give it a shot, I bought the additive and rear differential fluid and got it changed again. Guess what? That fixed it! Sure enough, looking at the receipt for the original change, I noticed the dealer hadn't charged me for the additive and never put it in.

So, long story short: If you have had your rear differential fluid changed at some point, or maybe if it has broken down to some degree (I assume that is possible), this could be a solution. Make sure you have the limited slip additive in the rear differential. I had no idea it was coming from there, as it sounded like it was coming from the front. Was pleased with this very simple and effective solution!

Hope you get it figured out regardless, and be sure to keep us posted.

Chris