Street / Track Tire for Gen III?

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people commenting on how much they love the new Pilot SS, but has anyone been on the track with them and see if they really are as good or better than the Cups, as claimed? Also, if you have been on the track with them, what were you on before and how old/worn were they? I know they may seem like a huge step up, but you have to consider that you might be comparing them to old and/or worn tires.

I have Invo's now, but it looks like I'll be doing at least 1 track weekend per month now, and it's getting close to time to replace them. I was planning on going with the NT05's, but I haven't seen much actual track performance/wear comparison between different tires. I know I will wear out whatever I get much quicker than normal because of the track days. I know R6's are great at the track, but with the street driving (a pretty good bit) and driving to and from the track (150+ miles each way), those are out.

Trying to gauge what my best options are to find a good track tire and still put quite a bit of street miles on. I don't want to get something that might last longer on the street, but then get trashed quickly on the track. The NT05's and the SS's are the only things that come to mind. If one is much better than the other on track performance and/or longevity with track abuse/heat cycles, that's the way I need to go.

VPA has the following prices:
SS with 275 front = $1495
SS with 285 front = $1595
NT05 with 285 front = $1225
(I'm currently running a 295 front)

With a $370 difference between the same size SS and NT05 (I know the NT05 is a 335 rear, but it's a wide 335), will the SS really last longer and hold it's grip better, or will track time trash both of them so quickly that the extra money isn't worth it?

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to consider stepping up to the Pilot Sport Cups. They are a little more bread, and won't last quite as long as a street tire, but you can still drive back and forth to the track, and they almost have the grip of a full R-compound tire. I'm on my second set, and don't want to run anything else now. (I may step up to Hoosier R6's next season though) Coming from Invo's, anything will be an improvement on the track. You are gonna be suprised at how much your tires have been slowing you down. -don't ask how I know. With the other mods you have listed on your car, you need tires that grip. That Viper will REALLY be fast with real tires on it. Remember, the Cups are what set the 'ring record on the ACR.

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Supposedly" the SS's are just as good (if not slightly better) than the Cups on the track and they last longer. I'd love to hear from someone who has run on Cups and SS's to see how true that really is. I have definitely thought about them, but hoping to get a better idea from some trackers that have compared them to some other tires. You're definitely right that just about anything will be a step up from the Invo's. They are holding on better than I expected though. I didn't get hardly any clean laps in this past weekend, and when I did get a few, they were definitely picking up in pace and I ran my best of 146.78, which from what I've heard, anything under 1:50 on "true" street tires in a car with stock suspension is pretty dang quick. I know I can get into the 145's and probably 44's or 43's if I can get some back to back laps without getting held up. Probably going back in July with Chin Motorsports who has fewer, faster cars and more track time. NASA was really crowded this weekend and the differential between me and 1 or 2 other guys and the slower people in our group was way too big. We would start up front and only get about a lap and half to two laps in before we were in lap traffic again.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Tire Rack has a comparison of the PS2 and the Super Sports on the Viper on their test track with the driver's reviews and lap time results. The PS2 is the superior tire in the 'performance only' aspect. Overall, and with the mileage consideration, the Super Sport is a better tire 'all-around'. -but you need a tire that is better all around the track. The Cup is superior to the PS2 'on the track'. Sorry I don't have the link for the review, but it's easy to find. After reading that, the Super Sports are off the table for me.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pilot cups are better for the road course but for all around use you cannot beat the new SS. VPA has the best price currently for the SS tires.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pilot cups are better for the road course but for all around use you cannot beat the new SS. VPA has the best price currently for the SS tires.
Yes, .......TowDawg, you have headers, race exhaust, Quaife, SCT, and all that for terrorizing the streets? ....or passing Corvettes at the track. -go with the Cups. :headbang:

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want something for both get the Super Sports. If your gonna mainly drive in the dry on the track get the Cups

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leaning towards trying to find some used Cups or R6's to try out. My Invo's are still fine for a good more street driving, and I have a set of old 10 spokes in the garage I was planning on selling, so I can keep the Invo's for the street on the good looking wheels and put either Cups or maybe R6's on the 10 spokes for the track.
I would love to go with the R6's, but that presents a whole new set of issues, as the track is 150 miles away (each way) and I don't trailer the car there. I usually head to the track by myself or with other guys driving their cars as well, so I have to make the trip on whatever tire I'm running the track with. Don't think the R6's would last too well (and probably get heat cycled to hell) if I drove that far to and from the track on them.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have the same problems and travel distance as I do. Cups are fine for the commute. I'm not sure about the R6s, but I will probably be finding out in the near future because I am a crazy person. -If you step up to either, you need a lot of negative camber or the tires will not last much more than one day of lapping. FYI. ...don't ask how I know.

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm -2 up front and -1.1 in the rear. I honestly haven't done any research into anything more aggressive for R6's. A friend has a tailer I can use, but it like 40' long and can haul 2 cars. In other words, it's freaking huge. I would have to borrow his International also just to pull it.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll need just a little more to get the best wear out of the Cups and probably the same for the Hoosiers. I've got -2.5 front, -1.5 rear, tires wear pretty even. I started with -1.5 and -1.0 , had a lot of premature wear on the outside tread. the more aggressive alignment fixed it killer, and the car really turns well. The miata and lotus guys are scratching their heads at every corner (they didn't think Vipers could turn like that)

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A neighbor brought up a great point last night when I was talking about Cups vs R6's. He asked if I knew anyone that lived near Road Atlanta that I could keep my track wheels/tires at their house. HELLO?!? My mom lives 20 minutes from the track!
Next time I go see her, I'll just take the H2 and haul them down there. I can go by her house before and after the track weekend to swap them.
Of this all depends on what tires I find. If I find both for a good price, I may get them both and run the cups first and then move up to the R6's.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AWESOME solution. -I have two sets of wheels, but nobody like that close to the tracks I run at. You are very lucky, now you don't need a trailer.:2tu: