Stripe or Not Stripe?

Dv8tor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thinking of stripping my yellow GTS. I know it's my car and do it if I want, but resale is always important to me. What heve you guys experienced with stripping aftermarket? Do the stipes hold up for several years? You can't take them off after serveral years, right?

Guys who stripped... Glad you did it... or wouldn't do it again?

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Depends if you want the extra attention or not. Personally, I like the stealth mode of my solid black Viper (well, as stealthy as it can get for a Viper; yet I normally don't get a second look from law enforcement), as my personal feeling is that stripes draw even more attention. Nothing wrong with that, just be prepared. (And, if that is your goal, go for it! :cool: ).

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been toying around with this for a few months now. Originally I was plannning on striping my silver 98 GTS with black stripes. However since I have an Autoform hood with louvers and an Autoform roof vent vinyl might be difficult. Leaving me with no alternative than to paint.
Stripes definitely do draw more attention.
I have always said, its your car do what you want to it and dont care what anyone else says.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Strips gives it a race car look, without stripes looks more like a sports car. IMO.
Also stripes take your eye away from the curves of the hood and Gurney blister.

diabolos88

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i paid 1800 in south side of chicago to have them prof. painted on my previous ACR. I would def go with paint, the vinyl sux and besides, you dont wana go cheap on a 70k+ auto.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had my stripes painted on and do not regret it at all. Expensive but worth it. Had vinyl on first to see if I would like it and I did. :headbang:

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
A year and a half ago I decided to put stripes on my car but couldn't decide on what color I wanted so I though I would try vinyl first. Didn't like the first choice at all so I am glad I didn't have them painted on. The second choice has been on there over a year and I am very happy with it. Don't think I will go to the expense of having them painted. If the vinyl is done right it looks very good and you can change it whenever you want. Not difficult to remove at all. There is a thread in The How To Section on this websight about doing vinyl stripes. That is how I did mine.

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prince Frederick Maryland, On the Chesapeake Bay
Stripes definately, checkout my signature if you need any help or stripe kits etc ;)

Vinyl looks great and will last forever especially on our garaged babies !!!!

I have black carbon fiber 3M vinyl stripes on my GTS, they look great and are unique!

BLWNV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 01 Yellow RT/10. I want to add the rear (Dodge) spoiler and add Silver Stripes to my car.(the same silver that is used by Dodge to do stripes) To do it right your body shop will have to paint the stripes, add clear coat, sand, clear coat, sand, etc.... so you won't feel/or barely feel the edges of the stripes. What do you think about silver?
Alan
BLWNV10

DG Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the advantage of going with the Ghost Stripes... I get the best of both worlds. Not sure how it would work with Yellow, but may be something to consider.

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love the stripes on my 1996 RT/10. I have 1MEANSNAKE helping me to see if I can extend them though the hardtop. I saw a couple of 'em on here (unfortunately not great pics of the tops, but great pics :)

Just out of curiosity, can you order the factory 3M stripes for the 96' RT/10s? Nothing wrong with mine, just curious.

Cal

PS - I think stripes are highly subjective :) They only add 20rwhp

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 01 Yellow RT/10. I want to add the rear (Dodge) spoiler and add Silver Stripes to my car.(the same silver that is used by Dodge to do stripes) To do it right your body shop will have to paint the stripes, add clear coat, sand, clear coat, sand, etc.... so you won't feel/or barely feel the edges of the stripes. What do you think about silver?
Alan
BLWNV10

If I was going to stripe a yellow GEN II, I'd go with silver. Looks awesome and not quite as much contrast as black, which I like. Also, IMO, thicker/wider stripes look better. A little wider than the late stock stripes. There is an advertiser on this site (can't remember who) that has a yellow GTS with silver stripes, looks great. You see their link, with the pic, pop up on the main page from time to time.

RE: Vinyl Stripes, This is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. If you order a do-it-yourself vinyl stripe kit, can you take them off and put them back on over and over? Kind of like deciding what shirt to wear that day? Probably not, but would be cool if you could.

OP
OP
D

Dv8tor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's the advantage of going with the Ghost Stripes... I get the best of both worlds. Not sure how it would work with Yellow, but may be something to consider.

Although I do like your car and the ghost stripes look cool, I'd go with the factory look of black stripes. Anyone in S. Fla. have vinyl stripes I could look at up close? If my car ever needed a repaint [knock on wood] I'd definately have stripes painted on at that time.

I only drive the car on the weekends, but if I had the vinyl stripes on for a year and pulled them off, would the paint show it?

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
I am very partial to the stripes as most on the baord know, but like another said, stripes are more racing oriented to me and non stripes more of the exotic flavor, personal choice but attention is 2x factor with them.

Two of my favorite shots on my RT with Top on and Off

Good Luck !!! :2tu:

6786DSC00386-med.JPG

6786207101_0126-med-med.jpg

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you guys think flat black on a black GTS will look good? How about chrome stripes. I've seen it done on a truck and it looked very good. I want stripes but I want to be a little different.

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Those are some good ideas. I wish I could have a photoshop of those. I've actually considered the brushed alluminum look before. How much do the striping kits usually run?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about a brushed aluminum silver or brushed aluminum gold or candy burgundy on the black?

MEANSNAKE's stripes are top notch and the kit he sends is great and pretty easy to use. "Pretty" being the operative word. The hood, top, and trunk is cake. The bumpers are a royal PITA. I have yet to make it to anywhere near perfect. I've taken it to two different vinyl installers and they just can't get it on straight because of all the curves.

Anyone the the cali bay area that can do a mean striping job?

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JWVIPER,

What kind of wheels are on your car? More of a brushed aluminum look that chrome/high polished?

Very nice.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
JWVIPER,

What kind of wheels are on your car? More of a brushed aluminum look that chrome/high polished?

Very nice.

A little hard to tell from that pic, they are Speedline, the centers are sprayed and the outer lip are polished alumn. I have only seen one other Viper with them and I think they go well with my car.

thanks

6786DSC00374-med.JPG

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm holding out until ferrari,lambo,maser etc start slapping ricer stripes on their cars.I wonder if they will be able to stripe over my vinyl top? GTS Bruce

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm holding out until ferrari,lambo,maser etc start slapping ricer stripes on their cars. GTS Bruce

You must be registered for see images

Face it Bruce. Your a closet ricer and you know it. We all know how you love those Viper drifting articles in the Viper mag. Keep it up and we will forcefully trade your GTS for a SRT. Then you can drift off with your ricer buddies. GTS TCKTPLZ