Stripes on B/W GTS

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering if the stripes on the 96 & 97 B/W GTS's are painted on or some type of vinyl that is cleared over??? Is there any type of ridge that can or should be felt on the edge of the stripes, or are they completely under the clear and smooth as glass?

OP
OP
A

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They're painted, and there is a big ridge. Also, you'll often see a bit of uneven paint thickness at the edge of the stripes - that's how you know they're real.

so is there a ridge all the way up and down the stripes or in various spots with other areas being smooth?

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It could be that way - the stripes on those cars weren't perfect by any stretch. If they look 'too clean' then they're probably repainted. Also, if they look 'too sharp' then they might be vinyl - although that should be really easy to determine from a quick glance.

OP
OP
A

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So does the ridge vary in texture? Meaning, more apparent in some areas along the stripes than others? I went and looked at a 950 mile B/W 97 GTS yesterday that a buddy of mine is considering and the stripes had a sharp edge in some areas and a bareley noticeable edge in other spots.

Any feedback from the B/W guys? Kind of the same thing going on on my 97.

Last edited:

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It varies a good bit on my '96. Some places your finger could almost catch an "edge" and on other places, it's just about smooth.

That's a painted stripe for ya.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Per ASC, the GENII paint shop, I was told that the paint ridge was by design and spec'd dimensionally.

The application process was:

"Body panels are completely painted with the base color and cleared, the stripe* is then applied and the paint lightly scuffed (not to primer). The stripe only is then painted with the base color and cleared, after the baking process the stripe is lightly sanded with 2500 grit paper and polished."

*That was verbatim from an ASC email - I assume he meant that the stripe masking was applied….

Last edited:

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The answer your really looking for. has the car been repainted?

I would not take this (alone) as evidence of a repaint. Especially on such a low mile example.. Is this concentrated to one panel? If there are other indicators, maybe. If were talking about a facia, thats easy to sport a repaint.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The painted stripe on my 97 is pretty smooth without a noticable 'lip", but on my new ACR it looks like tape with a clearly defined edge that you can hook a fingernail on.
Older=Way better.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GULP! I am thinking about doing stripes. A very bright silver on my Sapphire GTS. I said thinking. IN general I have not liked them but it realy adds something to the old girl. Have seen it done to a few cars that were previously stripeless. The original were a paint on without blending. Cheap to paint on at less than 1/2 the price of ordering on the original car. For the same price as ordering when it was new you can get the stripes cleared in and will show or feel no discernable edge. GTS Bruce