Stripes paint or vinyl ?

IwannaGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats the best way to go paint or vinyl stripes? The gts I'm looking at dose not have them. I would like to use the factory colors for that year. What effect will this have on the cars value?
Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
As long as the stripes are done well it should not be a negative, most of the vinyl I see through here though looks bad and is not straight as they go through the bumpers.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think people go with vinyl because a.) it's cheaper and b.) it's reversible. There is a really good guy around here that does it for about $600 and it looks kickass. I've seen 2 GTSs he's done and he does not disappoint.

And this "value" you speak of...are you planning on selling it!? BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Be a lifer! Buy it because you love it, not because you think you'll make a buck. These things are meant to be enjoyed!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have both painted and vinyl and if the vinyl is done right you can barely tell the difference. Done right is the keyword, no bubbles and straight. If you are unsure about a color or if you are going to like it then get vinyl by all means. Not that it matters much in these economic times, but there are 'purists" who won't buy a car unless it is factory correct, so painting some unusual stripe color on your car might not be a great idea. But since the values are in the toilet anyway, hell do what you want.

I was quoted over 5K to paint stripes on my red GTS and there is NO way I'm spending that on a car which is worth less than 30K now.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you actually drive the car the vinyl will get beat up on the nose. So do you redo the vinyl on a nose that needs paint or do you repaint the nose when you get the stripes redone?

I'm contemplating painted stripes with a reclear/chip repair on the whole car. Bye-bye vinyl.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was quoted over 5K to paint stripes on my red GTS and there is NO way I'm spending that on a car which is worth less than 30K now.

5K for stripes :omg: I m getting mine painted for 400 bucks :dunno: if your in cali let me know, I know a guy who can do it real cheap :2tu:

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What color car what color stripes? (you are listed as an enthusiast...)

Per Dave's comment ...can you put clear bra over the nose with vinyl stripes the same way you can over painted stripes to protect the nose?

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5K for stripes :omg: I m getting mine painted for 400 bucks :dunno: if your in cali let me know, I know a guy who can do it real cheap :2tu:

Gonna look like $#!+ I gaurantee that. No way can someone paint stripes for 400 bucks. The paint and materials cost is almost that much.:nono:

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a company that makes really thin vinyl sticky back material that is painted just like the car. 2 coats primer, 2 coats paint, 2 coats clear coat. It looks just like paint and you cannot tell the difference. Plus it waxes, clay bars, etc. just like your paint. Doesn't chip like vinyl either. I love it on my '09 ACR. And you can get something unique that can be taken off later to put it back to OEM.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a company that makes really thin vinyl sticky back material that is painted just like the car. 2 coats primer, 2 coats paint, 2 coats clear coat. It looks just like paint and you cannot tell the difference. Plus it waxes, clay bars, etc. just like your paint. Doesn't chip like vinyl either. I love it on my '09 ACR. And you can get something unique that can be taken off later to put it back to OEM.

TELL ME MORE!
More info Cheryl, sounds interesting.
Website?

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gonna look like $#!+ I gaurantee that. No way can someone paint stripes for 400 bucks. The paint and materials cost is almost that much.:nono:

$400.00. :rolaugh:
Having one side sill costed me more than that. This is in the US right, not Bolivia.....

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$400.00. :rolaugh:
Having one side sill costed me more than that. This is in the US right, not Bolivia.....

Yes :rolaugh: Actually I m getting the whole car painted and wasn't going to do stripes but the guy said it's just 400 more... He does a great job on body/paint stuff here in Fresno, CA. Here's a sneak peak of what's going on with my car :D and sorry about the crappy iphone pic...

Attachments

• photo(9).jpg
    photo(9).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 38

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C'mon, thats NOT the same as saying you are getting stripes painted on your car for $400.00.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C'mon, thats NOT the same as saying you are getting stripes painted on your car for $400.00.

If you going to do the stripes might as well get the whole car painted :rolleyes:

I just called the guy and asked, he said it depends on the color and clear and he would have to look at the car to give a price...

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
adding stripes, i'd go with vinyl since its reversible and cheap.
just make sure you have somone experienced do it.

with the exception being replicating a W/B GTSR where i doubt blue stipes could be matched with vinyl.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes :rolaugh: Actually I m getting the whole car painted and wasn't going to do stripes but the guy said it's just 400 more... He does a great job on body/paint stuff here in Fresno, CA. Here's a sneak peak of what's going on with my car :D and sorry about the crappy iphone pic...

Big difference there buddy:rolleyes:

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have both painted and vinyl and if the vinyl is done right you can barely tell the difference. Done right is the keyword, no bubbles and straight. If you are unsure about a color or if you are going to like it then get vinyl by all means. Not that it matters much in these economic times, but there are 'purists" who won't buy a car unless it is factory correct, so painting some unusual stripe color on your car might not be a great idea. But since the values are in the toilet anyway, hell do what you want.

Agreed. I have vinyl stripes, and they look great. The reason I went with vinyl vs. paint was I was not completely sure I wanted stripes. Now I am SURE I want stripes. Vinyl cost $750 from an IRL graphics company. I'm sure paint would be many thousands.

OP
OP
I

IwannaGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone.Yes I'm just an enthusiast at the moment ,I've been looking for about a year now I want a 01 GTS sapphire with silver stripes but cant seem to get one in my price range. I was thinking about getting a solid and adding stripes.

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TELL ME MORE!
More info Cheryl, sounds interesting.
Website?
Blair Hartsfield is our local track photog, and car accessorizer and he installed the product for me. He is very good. His email is [email protected] or I can search around in my car stuff and try to find the mfgs info for you, maybe. I'm not sure if I have anything much left since everyone here wanted their car done once they saw the product on my car. The company that makes the material is in Okla but they have a BIG car dealer client somewhere in Ohio. Anyway it is a fantastic product and not much more than regular vinyl but lots different in what it looks like on your car.

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with the vinyl stripes. My car was only available without stripes because it has the Connolly interior. I wanted the vinyl to give any future owners the option of removal. The shop even striped into the duct as if were painted. I haven't seen any other vinyl stripe job done like that. It cost $950 because of that I guess.

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I vote for paint. I know of people who tried putting vinyl on and with the curves had problems with the front bumper vinyl going crooked. Sorry, I'm not one for reversibility. Do what you like! Make it a style of your own.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala