Stuck Throttle, Bad Idle...Any ideas?

ViperCorp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ugh its only been 1 day since I've had this car and I am having a problem which is preventing me from driving it. As a new Viper owner, this is not a good omen!

PROBLEM/ISSUE --

The car is not idling correctly. In fact, it is idling so bad that I cannot drive it. It appears the throttle is sticking -- in neutral and while shifting, it will run @ 3000 RPMS! If I keep the car in neutral, it will run at 3000 RPMS for about 10 seconds, then slowly idle up-and-down variably at no standard rate at 2000 - 1000 rpm.

I initially thought bad gas but my last fill-up was at Mobil with 93 Octane.

What could this be? Should I take it into the dealer?

My problem is, I am not a "car-person" so my knowledge on where, what, and how to look is limited, at best. For instance, if you say "check the intake manifold bolts" I wouldn't know where to do that.

Also, in Arizona (Phoenix) what dealer has reputable Viper Technicians and Viper friendly?

Thanks board people!
Michael

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
What year ? If it's a 97, may indeed be the common intake gasket problem. If "new" means BRAND NEW, few miles, go back to dealer for analysis.

Seems to me that Bill Luke Dodge would be a good place to start discussion...also, call AZ pres. (see main page under VCA)

Good luck...and let us know.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good check for a leaking intake gasket is to use an unlit propane torch. Turn on the torch, don't light it. Play the end of the torch in the area of the suspected leak. In this case, for a non car guy, this would be the top of the engine. If there is a leak, the propane will be sucked into the leak and cause the engine to run a little faster. If you are truly a non car guy this is probably something you should take to a good repair shop. Even if you find the leak you will need to take it somewhere to get it fixed.
I'm guessing that you also might want to check the throttle bodies to make sure one is not hanging up. You should be able to check this by simply pushing the lever that connects to each throttle cable, back to it's closed position while the engine is at idle and is exhibiting the problem.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
joe117 made good points...beat me to the throttle bodies...as you can easily remove the 2 air intake hoses, look into the throttle bodies to be sure that the blades are not hanging up...have seen oil residue build up here on cars driven hard (without a "puke-can"), then allowed to sit awhile.

Agree best bet is a GOOD DEALER !!!

OP
OP
V

ViperCorp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MORE INFO ABOUT THE PROBLEM!

Thanks guys for the info ... here is some more information which may narrow down the culprit...

I started the car (about 2 hours after the first occurance) and it idled normal. Took the car for a 1/2 mile drive to the post office. No problem. Took the car for a 5 mile drive, no problem. Ran on the freeway. No problem.

The PROBLEM has dissappeared!!! Now what? I didn't do a thing! Could it be the engine was cold?? I live in Arizona; it doesn't get cold here! Bad gas? The "mechanical" explanations now don't seem plausible. Can a throttle-body be cold and not exchange properly?

Michael

OP
OP
V

ViperCorp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about the lack of details ...

It is a 2001 GTS, Venom 650R with about 4000 miles. The driver side floor mat has been removed so I can't be that.

Michael

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ViperCorp:
MORE INFO ABOUT THE PROBLEM!

Bad gas?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What type gas are you running in this?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ViperCorp:
The PROBLEM has dissappeared!!! Now what? I didn't do a thing! Can a throttle-body be cold and not exchange properly?
Michael
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sent positive waves thru the atmosphere to fix your problem. Send me $99 cash ASAP or the problem will return.

Seriously, the adaptive ECU DOES fix itself, and the idle program fixes FAST, especially if you have the A/C turned on, as CA might do.

What caused it? Did you install any options or have any work done to discon the battery? If not, maybe your batty is BAD. If it drops below 10.4 volts, this HAPPENS. Not usual on a 2001, but on a 3-4+ year old battrey CHANGE IT !!!

OP
OP
V

ViperCorp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPDATE & MORE INFO

The problem has not returned. That is good! I am running the best gas I can find in AZ -- Mobil 91 Octane. There aren't any other higher octanes in AZ.

Also the battery has not been disconnected recently. Voltage is in the normal range.

Michael