Stupid airbag question

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can usually learn something from posts that start off with "stupid question"... But this one really is a stupid question.

I recently upgraded from a 93 roadster (no airbags) to a 97 GTS with airbags, and no cutoff switch. The only times I usually get to drive, are when I take one of two (extremely cute) kids with me. Through a search of this bbs, I was able to locate a part number for the cutoff kit, and ordered through our favorite parts guy.

The install was easy for the most part. It's just a pigtail that goes on the airbag connector to disable it, and fool the computer into not lighting the airbag idiot light. The difficult part... To protect everyone's tuchas, the kit comes with stickers for just about every flat surface of the car warning that the airbag is disabled. One is supposed to be put on the "B pillar". I think the B pillar is the area behind the side window? The sticker is way to ugly to put on the outside, and doesn't look weatherproof. Does it expect me to stick it on the inside of this area? Who's going to see it there? On a normal car, I guess that is where someone would reach for the seatbelt. Am I a total ****** for putting this sticker on the car, or in our litigious society, should I definitely put it there?

I told you it was a stupid question.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Andy,
Which kit did you put in? The one that disable the driver airbag or pass. airbag? We put the kit in that disables the pass airbag. It came with 2 pieces, the switch and dash bezel that looks like a 98+ with the airbag switch and light.

The new dash piece has the airbag light. When the pass. airbag is turned off the amber "OFF" light by the airbag switch lights up. For us, that light is more effective than the stickers that came with it.

FYI. we put this in for the same reason.. kids.. In addition to a pass. turn off switch the 98+ Vipers have less powerful airbags than the 97 and earlier ones.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Andy, seems you need a new avatar. As child & small adult related airbag injuries got in the news in the late 1990's manufactures sent out airbag warning lables to put on visors spelling out the danger. How many actually put the lables on?

Anyway, I've gotten several e-mails on this so I'll post trying to answer the questions.

We were looking to buy a GTS and talking to Bob Woodhouse when the subject of kids, petite wives, and airbags came up.  He told us he had just heard Dodge had a kit to put on 96-97 GTS cars.  We got the following parts for our '97 in the Fall of 1998:

05011483AA  --  Switch  (I paid $25.60)

0LB38JX8AH  --  Dash Bezel (the whole, big, plastic dash piece)  (I paid $335.50)  Pretty good prices, I know.

The dash bezel had the "airbag off light" and switch just like a 1998.  The texture seemed to match my '97.

I have heard that the current bezel has a texture like newer Vipers and I suspect that Dodge is just selling the 2000 bezel for this retrofit.  (kind of like the change in the "Street header flange) Maybe the first units had a '97 texture.  I also think the above part numbers have been superceeded further indicating some type of change.  My thought on the texture not being the same as a '97 on the units being sold now is "not that big a deal".   It's not like the color is different.  It is evident the bezel is not original '97 with the on/off switch and light and if I want original I can easily put the old one back on.

I suppose you could also get a dash piece out of a wrecked 98+ and install it in a 96-97.

There's some confusion on this kit.  Brad got one of these kits a few months ago & he would be one to ask about the texture.  Brad's on the board a lot and his e-mail is:  [email protected]

The Switch kit came with shrink tube, splice bands, wire ties, visor labels, etc.  (No, I didn't put on the Visor labels.)  This mod is fairly easy and well thought out.  "NOTE: in the event of a crash, with the switch in the OFF position, the switch assembly must be replaced". That in the instructions, don't ask me why.

The switch even gets grounded to address any static electricity buildup problems that has been mentioned in some auto magazines as a potential problem when the only a fuse is pulled. This kit is not the cheapest way to keep the pass airbag off, but it gives the ability to turn on and off easily, to see if it's on or off, and from a liability view it's been through the manufacturer screen.

So today, our '97 dash looks like a '98 and the instructors have a choice if they want it on or off!  Check around for discount prices from your favorite place.

I have faxed the Instruction Sheet K6853359 that illustrates the install to lots of Viper owners who want to know just what is involved.  If you want it, just send me your fax #.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy:

Am I a total ****** for putting this sticker on the car, or in our litigious society, should I definitely put it there?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This "litigious society" has made weenies out of many.

Didn't Shakespear say "kill the lawyers?"