Stupid is as stupid does,i'm guilty!

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't been able to drive either of my Vipers much in the past month or so because of winter weather,but today is mid fifties and the roads are dry. I decided to take the old RT/10 up to the little store and buy my sweet woman some ice cream. Also a good chance to get back into my Viper. As i turned in to the little store i noticed workers doing repairs to the gas pumps. Well,i got a lot of thumbs up and comments which is pretty good ,but what i did next is a prime example of how an adult and supposedly fairly intelligent man can sometimes slip up. As i was leaving one of the guys asked 'will she run?' to which i smiled and said 'oh yeah!' . In my foolishness i decided to just goose it a little as i left the store. After making sure no other driver's were in sight both ways,i did just that and goosed it just a little. Whatever came over me next is anyone's guess because i had a wild idea to test it just a little after installing 3:55's a couple months ago and feeling they had had time to get worked in. Anyhow,to make a long story even longer,i did put it to the floor and was really surprised at that unbelievable torque that all of us have felt. Before i knew it(seemed like half a second),i looked at the speedometer and honestly was shocked to see i was doing almost 120. I immediately let off the gas and just in time to see a state trooper coming directly toward me in the other direction. I didn't slam on the brakes or anything so drastic but instead geared her down to about 70 real quick,and passed the man.I waved and smiled all the time thinking to myself and telling myself...you are a big dumb#ss! I kept watching for him to turn around and come get me. He didn't however and i guess i dodged a bullet. I don't usually do stupid things like that,and wanted to just go look in the mirror and make myself watch a real idiot for a while. Just goes to show even a guy my age can get to excited sometimes and thank God i didn't kill myself or anyone else. If i saw another man driving like that i would be cussing him like a sailor. I'm sorry,i just needed to come clean to someone.Next i'll go tell my sweet wife. Pray for me! :nono:

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makes me feel...er, less stupid. But I'll have to think about that.

TI3VOM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently did the same in my SRT Coupe, I had some kids pull up next to me with their video camera, I took off from the light and very shortly after passed a cop while doing about 90 in a 35!:omg:(4 lane very open 35 mph zone with no traffic), I also got very lucky as I went passed he just smiled. Situations like this are a much needed reminder after sitting out the winter months.:drive:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i asked, and he said "you now have a debt to society, lead foot"

You must be registered for see images attach

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
And with ICE CREAM in the seat no less? You coulda got that gooey mess all over the carpet when you tromped the brakes.

Lesson Take-Away: ICE CREAM etc IN THE TRUNK !

--glad U are all ok--

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Muscle, did you have your speedo recalibrated for the 3.55 gears?
If not, the speedo showed 16% faster than your actual speed was;)
Maybe that's why you got away without a speeding ticket.

Last edited:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like most daily drives :D

Now, if you do ever get a ticket that you feel might be a little unjust you can think back to this time and it might make the pill easier to swallow ;)

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
funny, things like that are why I bought the car in the first place:drive:

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Valentine 1 has smacked me into reality from more than one stupid stunt. When it starts beeping, the stupid foot lifts quickly.

OP
OP
M

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Muscle, did you have your speedo recalibrated for the 3.55 gears?
If not, the speedo showed 16% faster than your actual speed was;)
Maybe that's why you got away without a speeding ticket.

Actually i haven't fixed the speedo yet. Still.that cop had to have seen me doing at least a hundred so i was still lucky. BTW Does the fact i changed to 18" wheels have anything to do with the righteous speed difference? I've been kinda mentally adjusting and allowing in my mind for the speed difference. Will that excuse stand up in court?;)

OP
OP
M

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently did the same in my SRT Coupe, I had some kids pull up next to me with their video camera, I took off from the light and very shortly after passed a cop while doing about 90 in a 35!:omg:(4 lane very open 35 mph zone with no traffic), I also got very lucky as I went passed he just smiled. Situations like this are a much needed reminder after sitting out the winter months.:drive:

I know,it's hard sometimes to remain cool when you have people wanting to see a good peelout. I honestly was just going to give em a little taste of how it sounds and just maybe a quick 0-60 but the devil took hold of me i guess.lol:dunno:

Hyno

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No point in owning a high horsepower car if you're not willing to have a little fun with it every once in a while. As long as there are no other cars around, I don't see anything wrong with getting on it from time to time... it's fun.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In most states, a 2% runout in the speedometer actual vs. what you got clocked at is an acceptable deviation....meaning an officer you writes you up at 61 in a 60 has no leg to stand on when you bring up that the manufacturers tolerances on speedometers are about 2%. So I'm guessing here that even with un-calibrated speedometer you were still in triple digits.

As long as the overall diameter of the wheel (rim and tire) stayed the same overall height, then you wouldn't need to re-calibrate.

Regards,
Aaron

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the road still cold and the tires probably not yet at ideal temp, I think you did the right thing and down-shifted... Had you stood on the brakes you may have had a little trouble. Glad that all is well. :D

SSGSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always say I can't drive 55. Hard to not have fun with our cars.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW Does the fact i changed to 18" wheels have anything to do with the righteous speed difference?

Wheel size does not affect the speedo reading. Tire diameter does. When I went from 18's to 20's on the rear I could have chose a 20" tire that is almost the same OD as my 18" tire. I didn't, but I could have.

Also, while on the subject because I hate this when people talk about it, changing tire diameter does not change your gear ratio. Only changing gears changes the gear ratio.

Rant done.

OP
OP
M

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wheel size does not affect the speedo reading. Tire diameter does. When I went from 18's to 20's on the rear I could have chose a 20" tire that is almost the same OD as my 18" tire. I didn't, but I could have.

Also, while on the subject because I hate this when people talk about it, changing tire diameter does not change your gear ratio. Only changing gears changes the gear ratio.

Rant done.

Thanks,i kinda figured that but good to know for sure.:drive:

OP
OP
M

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the road still cold and the tires probably not yet at ideal temp, I think you did the right thing and down-shifted... Had you stood on the brakes you may have had a little trouble. Glad that all is well. :D

You are right ,the night before was down in the low thirties.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Rant done.

Affirmative. I own a tire/wheel shop and get asked this all the time. You also don't save any gas by changing O.D. of tire, takes more to get them moving, or takes more to keep them moving.

P.S. If you didn't get pulled over......then it never happened!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang