Suggested price on an 01 RT with 18k miles

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to throw up another thread asking about prices, but I am seriously considering a 01 RT. 18000 miles, corsa exhaust, stripes have been painted on it? Condition is alledgedly good, but the car has had four owners according to carfax. price range suggestions?

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine was listed on the showroom floor at $45k. The dealer showed me a paper that had KBB pricing closer to $49K.

My car is not in perfect condition by any means, but for $40k, I think it was a hell of a deal. Only 13,900 miles when I bought it. That's only 10K more that I paid for my 2000 SS Camaro back in '00. This car is hands down a far superior vehicle.

Does the car come with the hard top and the soft top? Mine came with both.

Mike

OP
OP
W

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the chicago area and most of the RT's in the area are priced at $50k and above. I haven't bought one yet because it seems like these cars are overpriced. I don't know if its just in my market or what, but the cars here just seem to be higher.

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked at a bunch on autotrader and I found some nice one's in California. They had about 15-20K miles and were priced in the mid 40's.

The only thing that ***** about buying from a dealer is that you're going to have to pay tax, title and licensing fees which on these cars is 3-5k depending on where you live.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most I've seen that are in pretty good shape with 15-20k miles are going for around $50k or a bit higher.

If you expect to pay in the $45-47, you better expect some bruises on the history.

Just what I've seen over the past week while I was researching the same subject.

Also, depends on how much you want to drive it, mileage means quite a bit for Viper resale value.

OP
OP
W

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of the pricing out there is completely uncomparable. Premiercars.com is $5,000 higher on all of their cars. Does anyone buy from these places?

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to think the same thing. But I've seen it too many times.
Some people just see it and buy it!

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can buy a 01 RT, less than 20k miles for close to $40k... the car has issues. Been hit before? Raced? Heavily moded and returned to mostly stock? Something.

Clean, no stories car less than 20k miles, high $40's

Clean, no stories car less than 10k miles, over $50k.

Heck, clean Gen I's go for high $30's here in the land of the Ohio State Buckeye's. Go Bucks!!! :2tu: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess my car has issues...now I just need to find them.

Mike

Not necessarily. Somebody might have just accepted a very low trade in value and the dealership kept the margin reasonable for a quick sale. Most dealerships do not want to floorplan a Viper very long.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I want to add, vehicle condition is the most important part of the equation in determining value. I have seen Vipers the same years as mine, even the same color with half to a quarter of the mileage of my car that have been in far worse shape than mine.

One car only had 1500 miles and you would think the car had been driven down a gravel road for all 1500 miles. It had a repainted hood, fascia, torn weatherstripping on the windows and a cracked center console. But it had never been wrecked and hard a clean carfax.

OP
OP
W

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything I've read so far is that people have bought there RT's for $40-50K. Has anyone paid more than $50k? will the upcoming winter temporarily drive down prices?