Supercharge 06 coupe Vs 08 coupe

salties

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience/opinions of supercharge 06 power/handling versus 08.
I'm thinking about trading in my 06 for 08, but maybe just supercharging mine.TIA.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If speed is all you care about then I think many on her recommend keeping the 06 and supercharging it over buying a new 08.

Now for the track (course) I think going with the 08 is the favorite and with headers you at 675 hp and the 06 with basic paxton (6lbs) is putting out slightly more but not much, again basic paxton.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get the 08/i was in the same position before i bought my 08 i had a 06 and im glad i bought th e08 than sc my previous 06.

Last edited:

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock for stock the 2008 is the best Viper built to date. Now as to performance to 60mph advantage 2008, after 60mph the Supercharged car says buh-bye. In the market now you will take a beating on that 2006. I vote Supercharger.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If speed is all you care about then I think many on her recommend keeping the 06 and supercharging it over buying a new 08.

Now for the track (course) I think going with the 08 is the favorite and with headers you at 675 hp and the 06 with basic paxton (6lbs) is putting out slightly more but not much, again basic paxton.

Paxton Kit is putting down 650ponies to the wheels thats nearly 750HP compared to a modded 08 putting down 560 or so to the wheels. The 08 has some nice upgrades though with the tranny, clutch and diff. If it were me I would supercharge and buy a quaife. Oh yea I am...:rolaugh:

OP
OP
S

salties

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does paxton kit put out any more heat inside the cab?
What is quaife?Thanks.

viperDoug

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard mixed reviews from many Gen III SC owners. Some love it and some can't stand it. One thing is for sure, a lot of them have had reliability problems with the Paxton. I have an '06 and I personally would sell it and get and '08 before I would SC it. But everyone has their own opinion and that is just mine.

oufan2929

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd buy the '08, install full exhaust, and enjoy a SICK car under warranty for the next few years or so! Paxton's are a great bang for the buck, but no matter what anyone says, they aren't bullet proof! This is speaking from experience!

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stay with the stock system. Have a Tuner that has done multiple installs put it on. Do not alter or add to the system. You don't even need to change the exhaust or gearing.
Keep it simple. You will have more power than you can possibly use on the street.

There are no heat or overheating issuses for me in South Fla.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year i went thru the same thing Supercharge my Gen 3 or buy a Gen 4 .A few points ANY dollars spent on power adders flat out you NEVER get back on resale.(If you spend 15 grand on a blower system for an 06 .that car is not worth any more than a stock 06 .)The warranty is a total separate issue with the bolt on adder you have NONE .If the motor goes ect you pay out of pocket.A supercharged PAXTON STOCK KIT is going to be slightly faster but since bone stock 08 are running low 11s at 130 is the few tenths the blower gives you worth the problems that can come with it (warranty resale ect )

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd buy the '08, install full exhaust, and enjoy a SICK car under warranty for the next few years or so! Paxton's are a great bang for the buck, but no matter what anyone says, they aren't bullet proof! This is speaking from experience!
EXACTLY ANY fuel management issues (esp a lean condition on a hot day )and there is trouble.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year at Englishtown during a Muscle Mustang Test TEAM SRT showned up on press dat to use the roadcourse (new model announcement )When they saw my Gen 4 the engineers and i started to chat .An 08 Motor had to pass the endurance test of running 3 full days on the dyno at near redline before DODGE was satisfyed.The engineer flat out remarked that ABSOLUTELY no bolt on supercharger system on the market for the GEN 3 could come ANYWHERE near that number .

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are plenty of reasons to do either. How about why you feel the need to change ?

Prettier=08
Warranty(for now)=08
Road racing=08

On the street=06 supercharge (most new super cars with less hp have better traction,so more hp to keep up)
Value=06 supercharge (your car is market adjusted already 08 adjusts after you buy it).
Drag Strip=06 supercharge (the throttle by wire is so frustrating on the launch, unless you are just running for e.t. you can not be very consistant. Supercharged car still quicker and faster without even trying)

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are plenty of reasons to do either. How about why you feel the need to change ?

Prettier=08
Warranty(for now)=08
Road racing=08

On the street=06 supercharge (most new super cars with less hp have better traction,so more hp to keep up)
Value=06 supercharge (your car is market adjusted already 08 adjusts after you buy it).
Drag Strip=06 supercharge (the throttle by wire is so frustrating on the launch, unless you are just running for e.t. you can not be very consistant. Supercharged car still quicker and faster without even trying)
True,BUT if you buy a preowned 08 say 1500 miles (like new ) different story as first guy takes depreciation hit.(still have warranty ect )

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True,BUT if you buy a preowned 08 say 1500 miles (like new ) different story as first guy takes depreciation hit.(still have warranty ect )

Hmmm...I seem recall someone falling into the category around here. ;)

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say do the math. Then ask what you want your Viper for ultimate HP go for the Paxton. Road course I think 08. I think the standard kit with a tune from DC or one of the site sponsors will be very reliable. From a roll the supercharged Viper will pull an 08 hard. But the 08 09s are awesome Vipers! I say eiher way you will win!!

OP
OP
S

salties

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks all for your input,now i have made my decision it's going to be an 09 white vert,anyone know of 1 available close to Socal

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in the same place you are. I went to VOI to drive the 08 to decide what I wanted to do. I drove on the AX and the road course and then made my decision.

Not to take anything away from the 08s. I really like the improvements and the styling of the ACR but,...
I decided on an 06 cpe. I installed Motons, Quaiffe, Eurotech lightweight rotors, Sport Cup tires with aftermarket light wt. wheels. SCT programmer, exhaust, KNs, shifter... Never regretted it.

As far as the upgraded parts in the 08, there are a lot of guys trading their 08 shocks and rear ends for Motons and Quaiffes.

IMO, after driving both... The 06 not only surpasses the stock 08 but rivals the new ACR. Compare the parts I have added. The 06 leaves nothing on the table

The difference between the 06 (with the above mods.) and a new ACR ....
Minimal, except you have an extra $25-30K in your pocket.

Oh yeah...add a Paxton with a "real" intercooler and W/****... no contest.

Just my $.02 from personal experience...

Last edited:

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks all for your input,now i have made my decision it's going to be an 09 white vert,anyone know of 1 available close to Socal

Wow! That was a 180 from coupe to vert and 08 to 09. I think I like the move. Might be the last year made. The vert is a nice touch. Cruising PCH with the top down in the baddest Convertible ever made.

God bless America:usa:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a mixed bag...The 2008 looks a lil nicer but to the average person a 2003 vert and 2008 vert are pretty much identical twins...

Then when your at the drag strip in your 540 rwhp 2008 Viper that you just dropped 85K and run a 11.6 at 128 mph and see that 2003 thats looks 95% exactly like yours run a 11.2 at 132 mph with a 630 rwhp paxton...

Well in that moment you'll wish you had a paxtoned gen3..

Especially when he tells you that he picked up the 15K mile 2003 vert for 41K and still haS WARRANTY TILL 2011 and got the paxton installed for another 9K...Total investment at 50K......

Id personally go that rout but Im saving as much money as I possibly can to retire in the next 5-7 years..Really all about your bank account..

But I can tell you that I sold my wrecked SRT10 to a friend who had the entire car redone and painted yellow with a 2008 hood...Looked just like an 2008 only about 40K cheaper and he has a ROE supercharger on order..One of the first on the list

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paxton Kit is putting down 650ponies to the wheels thats nearly 750HP compared to a modded 08 putting down 560 or so to the wheels. The 08 has some nice upgrades though with the tranny, clutch and diff. If it were me I would supercharge and buy a quaife. Oh yea I am...:rolaugh:

I would do that too....oh wait I did:drive:

if you're a set it and forget it kind of guy...get the 08:2tu:

cobrapilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Paxton 06 with Motons and Corsa and it way more fun to drive and faster than my 08 ACR. The ACR is awsome looking but the gas pedal response is WAY slower compared to and SC 06 and makes it not as enjoyable to drive. Nothing compares to supercharging on acceleration and TQ that a NA engine does not have. Also like the sound of the blower coming around the corner. A SC 08 ACR would be the best of both worlds if it was possible.

I just could'nt really decide so I got both. :)

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a mixed bag...The 2008 looks a lil nicer but to the average person a 2003 vert and 2008 vert are pretty much identical twins...

Then when your at the drag strip in your 540 rwhp 2008 Viper that you just dropped 85K and run a 11.6 at 128 mph and see that 2003 thats looks 95% exactly like yours run a 11.2 at 132 mph with a 630 rwhp paxton...

Well in that moment you'll wish you had a paxtoned gen3..

Especially when he tells you that he picked up the 15K mile 2003 vert for 41K and still haS WARRANTY TILL 2011 and got the paxton installed for another 9K...Total investment at 50K......

Id personally go that rout but Im saving as much money as I possibly can to retire in the next 5-7 years..Really all about your bank account..

But I can tell you that I sold my wrecked SRT10 to a friend who had the entire car redone and painted yellow with a 2008 hood...Looked just like an 2008 only about 40K cheaper and he has a ROE supercharger on order..One of the first on the list
The second you bolt that blower on say goodbye to that extended warranty .A stock 08 runs flat to low 11s at 130 (stock tires ).A STOCK Paxton blower kit runs 10.8s at 133 (stock tires )so the performance difference is not that great .Yes the Paxton is faster (FEW TENTHS AND FEW MPH )but has no where near the reliability factor of the stock 08 (capable of running near redline for 3DAYS straight )on the engine dyno.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The second you bolt that blower on say goodbye to that extended warranty .A stock 08 runs flat to low 11s at 130 (stock tires ).A STOCK Paxton blower kit runs 10.8s at 133 (stock tires )so the performance difference is not that great .Yes the Paxton is faster (FEW TENTHS AND FEW MPH )but has no where near the reliability factor of the stock 08 (capable of running near redline for 3DAYS straight )on the engine dyno.

No offense to you, But I still own and drive both cars. The only thing they have in common is that they are Vipers. Though after a week of driving the 08 I think it is just as quick. A short drive in the supercharged car snaps me back to reality.

Those few tenths in the 1/4 mile equate to 4-5 car lenths and 6mph while pulling away hard.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1BADGTS, I want to clarify that I think your opinion on the 08 is valid because you are one of the few owners who do more than go to the dyno or bench race. This guy is about to spend 10-30k and deserves real facts and most should post what they know not what they think or heard.

The best advice we can all give is drive the cars you have in mind and make the choice yourself. Their have been many people who club members have tried to reach,only to have them find out they should have driven that Viper before they bought what they thought was best.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not taking away anything from the '08 Vipers but I don't agree that they look better. While the hood looks better, the thinner stripes do not. I suppose that an Underground twin turbo would end this debate in a hurry.