Supercharged. / Turbo - True Test of Reliably Needed

viperpilot99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many of you guys road coarse your car or truly driving under full race conditions with forced induction? Not 1/4 type racing for moments at a time going straight. Anyone gone wide open around a high speed track for long periods of time with forced induction here?

Supercharging/Turboing sounds interesting but I don't want reliable power for only shorts bursts. I want to know I can run a long term race and finish reliably. You would need a full thermal barrier though out the car made from inconel to properly run these high heat producing turbo for one thing.

I like the Paxton but how will that water to air cool down the charge under a multi lap race?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
please use the search feature. this has been beaten to death. there is plenty of discussion on it.

and the air/water isnt for me, i like the air/air coolers

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put 30000mi on my Roe.

The key points are (valid for both SC and turbo and even for nitro)
- Don't over boost
- Always use high octane fuel
- Vent the engin (PCV) to free air. Don't ever think about recirculating the oil vaps into the intake
- Have 2 WBO on each side of the exhaust to have a good idea about the fuel going into the engin
- Use conservative ignition settings
- Have a sticky set of tires for enough grip. Anything above 600rwhp will not be safely handled by the stock Michelin Pilots

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About 10000 miles with my Roe and 8 lbs pulley.
I road race it. No problems whatsoever. At the track I use VP fuels, just in case.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use my Gen1 ROE setup for DE track events. Each session is about 20min long. Things do get a bit hot in the TX heat of the summer. I'm adding a ROE facia kit to get more airflow. The normal SC things mentioned apply. Other that that, it's rock solid.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For any Roe guys that frequently track your car, what size pulley are you running? I assume mainly 5 to 6.5lb pulleys with an occasional 8 pounder.

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the roe and the paxton are ultra reliable and can be driven coast to coast.
we have several paxton cars that have over 20,000 miles ---hard driven miles at that with no issues. i know of several roe cars and trucks that have been pounded for many miles too. either one will last, and serve you well.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For any Roe guys that frequently track your car, what size pulley are you running? I assume mainly 5 to 6.5lb pulleys with an occasional 8 pounder.

Ian,
Why don't you just drive you car to Bradenton? You'll see how reliable it is! :2tu:

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I run 6.5lb pulley. There's not much sense in going higher than that one a road course. You won't be able to tell the difference in the extra HP in lap times, and you'll up the chances of detonation if things get hot on the track.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ian,
Why don't you just drive you car to Bradenton? You'll see how reliable it is! :2tu:

I'm still hoping to make it Mike!:D

The reason I ask is because I run a 10lb pulley with a DW lower crank pulley. It has been great so far, but I don't think the compressor will like the higher rpm's for a long period of time (as well as the IAT's). I guess I could swap pulleys between track events and drag events, but what fun is that.

OP
OP
V

viperpilot99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of great feedback. What would be a very safe boost level you can run on a car that only uses 101 octane and will be used on a road course with that fuel?