Supercharging SRT-10

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have any of you supercharged your SRT-10 right off the bat? Less than 15-30 miles on the odometer. I ask because I am wondering if there is any issue with running the car on a dyno with a blower without any real break in period?

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know a few people have gotten their car supercharged before delivery before delivery from Woodhouse.

Ricky

Sleeper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your concern is appropriate and understandable. I think you will find the practice occurs frequently. Some 2006 coupes have already been delivered this way. Although the anticipated numbers at first sound impressive, a typical supercharged SRT will have essentially the same specific output ( hp/liter) as a stock Infinity G-35, and much less than many others.

Using a dyno should be the least stressful way to run your motor to its maximum output.
Let me suggest you change your query to, "Has anyone experienced or learned of damage done to a vehicle by using a dyno during the break-in period?"

I suspect you will get no responses reporting damage from early dynoing, but I will also candidly follow this thread as well.

TD

OP
OP
P

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Have heard these newer motors just don't need the break in period they once did.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
while the majority of the break-in occurs in the first heat cycle of the engine, I personally WILL NOT put a car on the dyno until it has a minimum of 100 miles on the drivetrain, preferably 500.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may have the system installed with a low boost setting until you put more miles on. You do not need to get it dyno'd at the low boost settings. That's what DLM did for me. I agree with Final GTS, except I would add a few hundred more miles before any installation. I always believe it is good to drive a new car for a few hundred mile to detect any issues. Always easier to go to the dealer without the SC.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you place it in a low boost setting (other than your right foot)?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I'd Just break the car in first. I put 10,000 miles on mine before I had the Paxton installed.

There is no room for a larger pulley on the nose of the Paxton system for the SRT-10, so running a lower boost is not an option. You could keep your foot out of it though as very little "boost" really happens under low throttle and low rpms - less than 3000.

Good luck.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While most installers/tuners will want to dyno your install to determine output and air/fuel mixture. I believe that there are enought of them out there that tuners would feel confident having you put on some easy break in miles on and then come back to do the final tune.
As Viper X says. Little boost is produced at low revs, so you will have to just keep the revs down until you can get some miles on your car, and then back to the shop.

A Paxton's power delivery makes the Viper a delight. Just drive around town like it is stock, but when the need arises, bump up the revs and rocket away!