Suspension Question

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I measured the distance between the rims and the mid point of the arch of the rear fenders on my car tonight because from behind it looked like it was sitting lopsided. I was right. On the driver's side rear the distance was at 5-7/8" and the passenger's side was 6-5/8". A difference of 3/4"! What gives? This is not normal I think.

I have been hearing a "clunk" from the right rear of the car for several months now when I turn or when I start out. Maybe something is loose in the suspension letting the right side sit up a little higher than the left?? I am putting it up on a lift this weekend to try and find where that noise is coming from. Is there an area I should look at closely that would cause this situation? Thanks in advance.
:dunno:

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mad0953,

That does sound serious so I went out and measured mine (6" on the driver's side, 6.25" on the passenger side), hope this information helps.

Regards,
Aaron

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are lots of items to check. If there isn't an obvious defect discovered when you get it in the air, grab your manual and a torque wrench and check every mounting point to spec at the rear. Also look for marks at suspension mounting points that would suggest something has been shifting. The control arms, diff. etc are all important stuff that I've read many posts that when they come loose they make clunking noises etc. Let everyone know what you find after the visit to the lift.

Torque wrenches are more accurate when you set your beer down...

Reaction score
If you find oil on the shock you probably have a blown one. The gas charged shock that leaks can cause a sag in that side so I would look there first.

OP
OP
M

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Just got off of the phone with Chuck Tator and he gave me a run down too of things to look at tomorrow when I get the car on the lift. This place is great.

It's a good thing my GF is out of town too since there won't be a to do list from her for me to do. I can dink around with the car all week end!!!! :)

PS: Chuck said that a sagging coil spring could cause my "lopsided" issue but the "clunk" has nothing to do with it. I'll report what I find out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dave, I do get a reprieve once in awhile, few and far between tho. I will take advantage of my time and drink a few cold, good ones (no light beer for me). Although I will do it after I fix the car if you know what I mean.

OP
OP
M

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I have the only Viper in a town of 14,000 and it's like having 2 heads. Just today I was going home for lunch and some df in a Ford Ranger almost rear ended me trying to get a look at my car. I could read his lips. He said to his passenger "I think that's a Viper".:confused:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I have the only Viper in a town of 14,000 and it's like having 2 heads. Just today I was going home for lunch and some df in a Ford Ranger almost rear ended me trying to get a look at my car. I could read his lips. He said to his passenger "I think that's a Viper".:confused:

I put the windshield banner on - Viper GTS - so that the ones that can read are a step ahead in their gawking.

OP
OP
M

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fixed the "clunk". Got the car up on a lift and tightened all of the suspension bolts on the passenger side I could get to factory torque specs. A couple were pretty loose. The weird thing was that the driver's side bolts were all perfect, not one of them were loose.......hmmmmmm.

Think I found the ride heighth issue too. The right rear tire has a big nail in it and I only have 10 psi in that tire. Dummy me, I have got to check the tire pressure more than once a month. :)

Obsidian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Mad0953,

I have the same problem with the clunking, and the car seems to be awfully bouncy. Was yours bouncing around too, before you fixed the problem?

OP
OP
M

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obsidian, funny that you mention that. My car seemed tighter today after I was done tightening and that's what was missing, the bounce. Felt like a new car. You might have the same issue.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I measured the distance between the rims and the mid point of the arch of the rear fenders on my car tonight because from behind it looked like it was sitting lopsided. I was right. On the driver's side rear the distance was at 5-7/8" and the passenger's side was 6-5/8". A difference of 3/4"! What gives? This is not normal I think.

:dunno:
Sounds like the car sits low on the drivers side so I don't see how a nail in the passenger side would do that. My car sags a little like that on drivers side too. BUT It's because I'm a big boy @ 250#. When I have my 200# wife in there everything levels out.:rolaugh: LOL.
Also people have the idea shocks have something to do with the ride height of a car which is totaly False. The gas charge is to keep the shock from airyating and for cooling. Take a gas shock out of the box and see how easy it compresses. The springs are ride height the shocks are for rebound. ie, shock absorbers. I would bounce the ack of the car several times with no weight in it. If it was setting low then adjust up the low coil over shock. Measure all four.

OP
OP
M

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Raysir I think you are right. mad0953<-------not too mechanical. Anyway I am going to remove the tire, get it fixed and just drive it. BTW my GF and I are both 200 pounders so it stays pretty level when we both go for a ride. :)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, instead of another one of those oil change Sunday events, sounds like we all need a torque your suspension to spec day. I'll get started on the 500 pounds of hot wings we'll consume.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960