Swapping pistons do I need to balance my rotating assembly?

2002_red_gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I decided why my heads where off to try and put in some OEM 96-99 forged rods and pistons. I drawl the line at dropping the tranny and the crank to get everything balanced. I was hopping that the weight of the 02 pistons would be close enough with the 99 that I could get away with it.. Any help? 

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The service manual lists a range of piston weights for the creampuff motors as well as the rod weights..so Dodge allows a bit of variance should one need to swap in a replacement piston on occation. The ROE replacement pistons I got for my creampuff weighed 444 grams I believe...which according to Sean were the basic replacement weights for the stock pistons allowing you to do a straight piston swap without rebalancing (weights fall within the service manual range). I assume the 96-99 forged are a bit heavier (maybe check the service manual for a 96-99 to see what their weight range are). I also think the earlier rods (little end) may weight more as well do to the larger wrist pin size. But then again, maybe its a wash between piston weight, rod weight, wrist pin weight, etcerera between the years. Rotating mass vs reciprocating mass regardless. Long story longer, I'd be OK doing the swap. Hell, I read an interesting article a few years ago where some builders deliberately bias the balance for a certain RPM. SO even though a motor may be balanced, it may not be balanced at the RPM it is intended to run...if that makes any sense. I can't recall the specifics of the article, but it make me rethink some of the balancing logic.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[h=2]Swapping pistons do I need to balance my rotating assembly?[/h]Short answer, absolutely.