T&D Rocker Installation

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Following the installation instructions provided by T&D, my rocker stud bosses on the cylinder head need to be cut approx 1/8 inch. This is on a set of stock 97 GTS heads. I can't imagine that my heads are any different than others, so what is everybody else doing? Ignore the T&D instructions and install as is? It seems as if it should be ok if the roller travel across the valve stem is symetrical about the valve stem center line and the rocker is not contacting anything during its travel.

It seems like I have seen many posts about people installing T&D's on stock heads. However, I have not seen any posts about the need to remove the heads to mill down the rocker stud bosses. What's everbody doing with regard to this?

HouseofSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John...you do not need to cut anything...and throw the T&D "tool" in the trash.

Shim selection and pushrod length will take care of you. If you get stuck, we can do the install for you. You know the number.

Reaction score
Interesting question; The rocker shaft height installation tool supplied by T&D is designed to be used without the valve spring installed. You can cut the tool so it may be utilized with the spring intact, but as you described, you will find the rocker pad would need to be milled appoximately .040".
Cutting the pad locates the rocker shaft to provide the proper geometry for max valve lift. Ideally, you want the least amount of rocker arm movement across the valve tip. Too much movement across the valve tip scrubs lift and causes side loading on the valve.

Obviously, it would not be viable in your case with the heads installed to mill the rocker pads so you will have to improvise by finding the best geometry with the shims supplied.

Kyle made a generous offer to assist you with the installation.... may be a good idea.

Good Luck,
Doug

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bump, also do the Arrow rockers have to be shimed in the same manner? Is it necessary for the pushrod change on both types of rockers?

Mike

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just at the shop picking up some pieces and a guy was getting T&D's installed on his 94. It was clear that the pushrods were too short or the perch was too tall and would need to be cut down.

I thought something was wrong never hearing of this. But now I read this post.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, Can somebody that knows, would Arrow rockers be better in this aspect? Easier to install? If Tom at BTR or somebody from Arrow can respond, it would help clear things up, thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreatWhiteKAC