Taking your car out of storage and back on the road

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snow is still waist high here but today was the first time in 5 months it was above freezing.

It was my first season with the car last summer. I stored the car December 1st. I check on it once in a while...have not lost 1lb of air pressure on the tires. I did everything that was suggested in previous threads to store it properly. Oil change, radiator flush, washed car, tires on carpet, inflated tires, left window open a crack, car cover, covered exhaust for pest protection, etc... to get the idea...paranoid first time owner!!:)

So.....if winter ever ends.....is there anything specific for taking your car out of storage? What is the standard suggestions when I first fireup the engine after 5 months? Anything I need to check or pay special attention?

For those of you that store your cars each year....what is your "back on the road" check list?

P.S. It has been a brutal winter here. We broke records for Canadian winters....we are a pretty crabby bunch at the moment....so I don't want to hear comments like "what is Winter" from the warm climate folks!!!:D

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just took mine out last weekend. Just put the tires at the right PSI and fire her up! Music to my Ears!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget to take pictures of your grin ... and take it EASY!

Got 15 cm of fresh snow today also - longest winter with lots of snow here I can remember so far...talking about global warming...hopefully it will come sooner than later!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is usually stored from Mon-Thurs., 52 weeks a year. Not counting the times I take it to FL. Here's my checklist everytime I remove it from storage:

1. Make sure there is a blonde ******* girl shotgun
2. Make sure top is off (of the car....you perverts)
3. Make sure radio is loud
4. Make sure V1 detector is on
5. Make sure gas tank is at least 1/2 full
6. Make sure license and insurance card is in billfold for when I get pulled over (not if, but when)

That about does it. :D

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car is usually stored from Mon-Thurs., 52 weeks a year. Not counting the times I take it to FL. Here's my checklist everytime I remove it from storage:

1. Make sure there is a blonde ******* girl shotgun
2. Make sure top is off (of the car....you perverts)
3. Make sure radio is loud
4. Make sure V1 detector is on
5. Make sure gas tank is at least 1/2 full
6. Make sure license and insurance card is in billfold for when I get pulled over (not if, but when)

That about does it. :D

You store a ******* girl with the car? That's a little creepy.

Or do you go pick her up in your other car, and bring her back so she can get in the viper as soon as you fire it up?

Viper ACR Lover 02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, I would try to do a turn-over of the engine, but prior to it starting just to get the oil and all the fluids moving before actually cold starting it. That's just what I would do... my car has been sitting since August. Enjoy :drive:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I first check tires for deflation. I pull it out and let it idle for a good while as I dust it off. I try to keep it at idle for a while to give the engine a chance to cycle some oil through it at low RPM to minimize metal on metal friction. I lightly rev it later and then take it for a slow ride. The tires need to work out flat spots and suspension and brakes need to loosen up. I then top off fuel with as much fresh gas as it'll take maybe adding some fuel injection cleaner. It usually comes fully to life the next day after the first day of easy driving and a fresh tank of fuel. This year I am using the opportunity to change oil right out of garage to get the most out of it.

NukedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget to take pictures of your grin ... and take it EASY!

Got 15 cm of fresh snow today also - longest winter with lots of snow here I can remember so far...talking about global warming...hopefully it will come sooner than later!

It's amazing, no matter who you talk to, no matter where they are from, inside the US and outside, the story is the same. . . . . worst and longest winter in a long time. I notice Al Gore has kept a low profile over the last 6 months!

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a heated garage :D so it makes life a little easier come spring. I have 4 steps.
1-Remove Cover:)
2-Remove battery tender:)
3-Start Car:drive:
4-Drive car to re-align all that is good in the universe:headbang: