Techs, I need help please!

cornfish

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If anyone can help out, I would appreciate it. Anyway, here is the deal.

I have a '98 GTS with the NA SVS package (headers, exhaust, rockerarms, high flow cats, etc.) and everything was fine since I bought the car up until now. The first thing that I had noticed was that the car idles extremely low (actually has been for a while now.) The car also runs extremely rich - so rich to the point where I can't start it in the garage because of the gas/exhaust smell. Now I have spotted a bunch of coolant on the ground near the overflow area (from the passenger side a little toward the center of the car - under the hood.) The battery seems okay, although I didn't take it out to charge it. I did however take off the airbox and cleaned both the airbox and filters. No check engine lights, nothing. Here is a detailed list of what I have and what I am noticing:

The car and parts:
  • 1998 GTS with 12k miles
  • SVSi 1 - Upgrade
  • Cool Air package
  • - K&N Filters
  • 3" Induction box
  • 3" Tubes and hoses
  • Upgraded Throttle Bodies
  • 1.7 Rockerarms & 4130 pushroods
  • SS Headers
  • SS Exhaust with cats
  • Short Shifter
  • 3.54 Ring and Pinion
  • Speemo Recal Box
  • Plug Wires
The issues that I am seeing right now:
  • Running extremely rich
  • Super low ideal (second click of the RPM guage, assuming around 250)
  • Leaks coolant occasionally (tried to check today after I had it running for a while but nothing)
  • Stutters a bit when I punch it (some times takes a second to kick in)
  • Obviously not running as fast as it did when I got the car (5k miles)
Any ideas? I had two of my friends come over and none of us could figure out *** is wrong with it. We have a few ideas, but none of them are anything I want to try - like replacing the head gaskets (f that.)

I am here in Bend, Oregon and don't really have any viper techs here. I am willing to take it to Portland but I am not sure if I should be driving it right now. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron (cornfish)

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First I would see exactly where the coolant is coming from. Then I would pull the spark plugs for a visual look. Do all the plugs look similar ?
Tests go from there....compression...leak down....valve covers off to look at the rockers.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Tony said. But I'd replace the battery first if it is more than 18 months old. the idle issue is usually the 1st sign of a battery going out. And even if you think it is charged, just replace it and you'll see many a gremlin go away.

JD

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
first tick on the rpm guage is 500. So it won't be 250. Normal is 750 and that is the next tick mark. Check the coolant expansion bottle in the front passenger wheel wheel indicator if you can. Sometimes that gets empty and contributes to coolant getting burped every once in a while onto the ground.

OP
OP
C

cornfish

Viper Owner
Reaction score
first tick on the rpm guage is 500. So it won't be 250. Normal is 750 and that is the next tick mark. Check the coolant expansion bottle in the front passenger wheel wheel indicator if you can. Sometimes that gets empty and contributes to coolant getting burped every once in a while onto the ground.

Gotcha. I was meaning the first tick. When I said the second one, I was referring to 0 being the first and the second being the next tick. Anyway, I will go out tomorrow and just buy a new battery, then check the coolant expansion bottle. Just for reference, there was quite a bit of coolant on the ground --> obviously enough for me to say ***?

Any thoughts on why I am running super rich? :dunno:

I am at around 3600 elevation but I would assume that shouldn't matter much. :confused:

OP
OP
C

cornfish

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ah, and I guess I forgot a major part in this whole affair. My car was stalling when I had the AC on at idle. I could have the AC on when I started the car and let it sit there without it stalling, but when I put the car under load for a bit and pressed the clutch in while stopping at a stop light, the car would stall. This happened 4 times in a row until I got it home. When I played around for a bit, I turned off the AC an the car seemed to be fine other than the issues I stated above.

:(

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Tony said. But I'd replace the battery first if it is more than 18 months old. the idle issue is usually the 1st sign of a battery going out. And even if you think it is charged, just replace it and you'll see many a gremlin go away.

JD
Sounds like 2 problems to me. A leak and a bad MAP sensor. But you need to scan for codes on the rich run. A MAP sensor will do both idle low from rich run. I haven't figured out the standard Viper fix of replace the battery yet. If it cranks good it's not a battery problem. There is a relearn if the battery goes totally dead or is disconnected that can happen. It may idle crazy until you drive it around a bit but if it has 12V key on, on the volt meter it's not a battery.:headbang:

OP
OP
C

cornfish

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like 2 problems to me. A leak and a bad MAP sensor. But you need to scan for codes on the rich run. A MAP sensor will do both idle low from rich run. I haven't figured out the standard Viper fix of replace the battery yet. If it cranks good it's not a battery problem. There is a relearn if the battery goes totally dead or is disconnected that can happen. It may idle crazy until you drive it around a bit but if it has 12V key on, on the volt meter it's not a battery.:headbang:

Ok, here is an update. I replaced the map sensor and the battery. The car seems to idle slightly higher now but still not at the norm. After replacing the map sensor, I started the car in my garage with the door closed and no more massive gas smell coming from the exhaust. This is a very good thing obviously. I took it for a test drive and it seems as though most of the hesitation is gone. The car feels good now for sure - much more powerful as I can barely keep the rears on the ground from 1st to 2nd shift :drive:

After the test drive, I put in the new battery and it seemed as though nothing changed. Oh well, at least I have a new battery. I haven't seen the leak of coolant today so I will keep an eye on that. I am going to take it in for an oil change before I head to Portland this Friday for a Smart Car test drive so I will update again on Saturday to let you guys know how the car is doing. I will also take some pics since I will have the new rims and tires on by then. :headbang:

- Ron (cornfish)