Temperature Gauge Pegged Out While Cold?

EastTnMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
On my '97 GTS, something happened that has never happened before today. The wife and I were out, and I happened to notice the temp gauge was pegged out past the 250 red mark. I pulled over immediately, and checked everything out...nothing out of the ordinary at all. There was no "sweet" anti-freeze smell, and it was cool enough that I was easily able to remove the radiator cap on the coolant reservoir, so I know that it was definitely not overheating. I checked the oil, etc. for any signs of water, clean and clear as can be. The Viper runs great, like always. I am leaning toward the Temperature sending unit?? What do you guys think? Could anyone let me know where the sending unit is on a 1997 GTS, and how much trouble it is getting to it, replacing it, etc.? I figure if it is the sending unit, can I locate the wiring connector, disconnect it, and will the gauge drop to zero? With the car ice cold, as soon as I turn the key to the on position, the gauge pegs out. This is why I am thinking it is the sending unit. Any other ideas? I deeply and really appreciate the help everyone!
Mike

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
-Temp sensor is in the front of the driver side engine head.
-If unplugged, the gauge will go to 250, not zero.
-Let the car cool off completely, then see what the temp gauge does.

Is the coolant bottle full? Was the coolant system circulating coolant? Does the heater work correctly?

OP
OP
E

EastTnMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply...yes, the coolant bottle is full, and it seems to be circulating. The engine actually seemed to be on the cool side when I was driving it. But even after it has been parked for several hours now (5 hours at least), the gauge still pegs out past 250 as soon as the key is in the on position. Is the sending unit easy to get to, easy to find? What should I remove to locate it, or does anyone have other ideas? Thanks!
Mike

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yep, other than the temp sensor, a broken wire between the sensor/gauge is the only other (unlikely) culprit.

Its easy to get to, just pull the wiring out of the way in front of the driver valve cover, and look down towards the head. Pop off the connector, and it is a brass/black sensor. You will need a deep socket to get it out.

I can get you a price on the sensor tomorrow if you would like, 20% off.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please use the :search: button, many threads on this suject. It is a common problem with the temp sensors [internal short].

#4848110 MSRP $56.85
VCA discount 20% off, in stock.:cool:
914-763-3136

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I put my new (and leaky!) aluminum radiator in a while back I decided to replace the water pump and t-stat also just because. More notable on the 2001 water pumps ('01 GTS), but WTH, got the coolant out, might as well change the sending unit too. Just because.

It sounds like I actually did something intelligent for once.