Test Driving vs Owning a Viper

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's always interesting to me to read first time test drivers' opinions on the Viper. Most recently, Jeremy Clarkson's take, but also most other car journalists, new owners, and others who write about their initial experience in a Viper.

When somebody like Clarkson describes the Viper as a "wayward and hopeless driving tool" and talks about spinning the car and smoking the tires, my initial reaction is to think that he's an idiot and that he must be driving a different car than I am driving. Similarly, I tend to disagree with the reviewers who test drive the car and then opine that the SRT-10 is a lousy and uncomfortable daily driver.

However, when I reflect on it, I realize that most of these reviewers are new to the car. When I think back on my first few days driving my new Viper, I recall that driving it scared me. It tended to jump and twitch on rough roads, I was having a hard time controlling the car's power and torque, and I generally didn't feel at all comfortable with the car. It reminded me of when I was young, riding a big horse that wasn't completely broken in. I would ride it, but I worried that it might throw me. It took me several months and several full days of high performance driving instruction to learn to drive my Viper properly, and I am still learning.

I think that many of the negative reactions that reviewers have about the car are likely quite predictable, because the Viper is a car that really does have a rather long and steep learning curve. If you used to driving Porsches, Ferraris, Corvettes, (and track cars with traction control), how comfortable would you be taking a new Viper out on a race track for the first time? Would you likely think it was a crude, difficult car that was not quite up to the performance cars you were used to driving? I think so. That's what I thought at first.

After 12,000 miles and a fair amount of track time, my mind has changed completely. If you put the time into learning how to drive it, this "wayward and hopeless" car can become a very precise driving tool. It just takes time and skill to get to where you can really take advantage of the Viper's real potential.

So. I'm not surprised at Clarkson's take on the Viper. Anyone who spends just a day behind the wheel can't expect to fully appreciate the car's capabilities.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not feel that reviewers can appropriately fulfill their assigned task: Review.

They are *given* a vehicle that they often cannot afford. They have time constraints and feel they must be entertaining.

The are critics, not reviewers. It is like someone reviewing an album but having no musical ability.

It is a conundrum.

If a *reviewer* said: "I did not care for this car; it blew up," I would feel that is objective.

When this reviewer gets out of his personal Camry, gets into a Viper and then whines that he cannot control, manage, negotiate or that it is hot, uncomfortable, and scarey, he is not a reviewer at all. He is a child with too much authority.

The only way to know if an exotic car is worthy is to talk to someone who owns one, drives one and wants at least three more.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do not feel that reviewers can appropriately fulfill their assigned task: Review.

They are *given* a vehicle that they often cannot afford. They have time constraints and feel they must be entertaining.

The are critics, not reviewers. It is like someone reviewing an album but having no musical ability.

It is a conundrum.

If a *reviewer* said: "I did not care for this car; it blew up," I would feel that is objective.

When this reviewer gets out of his personal Camry, gets into a Viper and then whines that he cannot control, manage, negotiate or that it is hot, uncomfortable, and scarey, he is not a reviewer at all. He is a child with too much authority.

The only way to know if an exotic car is worthy is to talk to someone who owns one, drives one and wants at least three more.

Clarkson can afford a Viper.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It is a conundrum.

Clarkson can afford a Viper.

Speaking about the guy, will the article appear in the international issue of their magazine too, if yes which issue?
And did anyone record the show in which they did the review, can you or anyone else get it online (I know of some sites that feature episodes but they don't have it listed yet).

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking about the guy, will the article appear in the international issue of their magazine too, if yes which issue?
And did anyone record the show in which they did the review, can you or anyone else get it online (I know of some sites that feature episodes but they don't have it listed yet).

The show hasn't aired yet.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clarkson bought a GT40, he seemd to like that car, had no problem driving it and gave a fair review. HE did like the SRT-10 but he has his opinions about it just like every journalist does about the Viper. The SRT-10 just isn't a good a car as others are. Deal with it.

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Craig:

"the srt-10 just isn't a good a car as the others. Deal with it"

Interesting take, particularly the reference to guda. I've only just been able to take delivery of my srt-10 and drive it this past weekend. I didn't realize that it wasn't "a good a" car. Nor did I realize that cheese was so important to the quality of my vehicle.

In fact, having owned exotics (Ferrari, Lotus) and several of the domestic favorite (Vette) and having driven the previous generation Viper for extended periods, I disagree. I do believe that the srt-10 is "a good a" car. Frankly, my 04 may be the very best car I've ever sat in.

Of course my viewpoint differs from yours. I recall your earlier post where you admitted that you do not even own a Viper. Clearly I can see why you are an expert on this subject. My approach is a little different. I make it a point to limit my expert opinions to subjects that I am at least slightly familiar with. I want to thank you for liberating me from such encumbered thinking. From this day forth I will feel free to comment and give advice with absolutely no personal knowledge or basis. During lunch today I intend to leave my office and go to the hospital. There I will be supervising a number of complicated surgeries. I have no formal medical training, but you have shown me how uneccessary that is. Later in the day I intend to travel around town giving my uninformed opinion to all manner of professional people.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that I do own an srt-10 and have formed various opinions based on actual observations and fact, I will no longer allow myself to comment on this vehicle. The fact that I may actually know something about it is, obviously, a bar towards commenting, at least in your world.

I will keep my opinion on the quality and beauty of the srt-10 to myself, since it is erroneously based on fact rather than simply pulled from my anus.

Thank you again for liberating me from my world and for showing me the importance of cheese in relation to automobiles.

Dirk

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Classic. Now Craig does own one. It just happens to be 1/12 normal size and has a rock hard suspension and just no power at all! If only he could afford the RC version then he could experience the lateral G's and exhilarating performance. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456