Thank You Todd @ Arrow

Reaction score
I needed some education on Gen 2 oil system behavior, and the right oil filter to run, and why. He took the time to teach me why what was going was happening.

Very enlightening.

THANK YOU Todd! :headbang:

Greg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G
Reaction score
This is the first time this actually happened to one of my guys, but the engine was pushing the oil filter gasket out on start-up. It did it on 3 filters, and actually burst another.

The oil bypasses were not shimmed. They actually have a little more *installed height* because I removed the freeze plugs that secure them to clean the front cover.

I guess it's ok to post what he told me. Basically, when a Viper engine is first started the oil pressure will spike to about 300 psi for a few milliseconds before the pressure comes down. I don't know why this is, maybe there is oil stacked up behind the bypass valves that has to bleed out before the bypasses function? I don't know yet, but will figure it out. Maybe something could be modified to make the bypasses react faster.

We also had a relatively heavy break-in oil in it, 15W-50.

It has a Mobil 1 filter on it at the moment, and 10W-30 oil in it. The oil pressure is 75 pounds cold (idle), and 40 pounds hot (idle), which is about where I like it.

I was having a hard time wrapping my head around how this could be happening. Todd explained it better than anyone else I talked to (which was a lot of guys).

One of the filters he tried was a Comp Coupe filter, but it only blew a gasket out, it did not burst. Perhaps the combination of heavy oil and maybe not having the filter *gorilla tight* caused the gasket to push out. I think the Comp Coupe filter, which is what Todd recommended to me, would be just fine.

Hopefully this info will help someone out in the future.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are not the only one. Todd is a class act, he always takes the time to help and answer questions.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Its quite simple. It is caused by a non-compressible liquid moving at an above normal rate through the galleries displacing an extremely low viscosity volume of air, which when bled off rapidly, causes the oil to momentarily "back up" when the rate of flow suddenly drops due to the viscosity change [bearings bleeding off air then suddenly oil].

Think Water Hammer in residential plumbing.

A faster relief should help the problem, but wont solve it. The bearings may still see the spike, but the faster you can adjust the flow rate closer to the filter, the less spike the filter itself sees. A secondary relief valve at the END of the galleries would solve the problem altogether, as that would give the oil moving under the increased inertial flow rate somewhere to go until it stabilizes. No relief valve up the line is capable of changing the instantaneous behavior of a liquid already moving rapidly well down the line.

Last edited:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the recommended filter is comp coupe? Who makes that? Where do we get it? I've been told by the Viper engine builder that Wix was the best flowing filter to use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrewViperz