That 0.1% we were talking about... (pics)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously the Viper is not for everybody, and certainly not for teenagers. The recent tragedy in Iowa is a perfect demonstration of that. Yet the argument was made by some that not all teenagers fell into that "never drive a Viper" category - that maybe 99.9% were incapable of handling such a car.

As many know, my eldest was one of the first to drive my VCA SRT at VOI 8 in Dallas. He autocrossed it (and blew away my humble times) and did the road course in it with Skip Barber instructors. He also took the defensive driving class in Dallas with Skip Barber (Hemi Magnum, including skidpads). Of course the car still makes me nervous with ANYBODY driving it, including myself. However I did not hesitate to offer it to one very responsible young man for his Senior Prom. And here is that same young man looking slightly exasperated as he gets the pre-prom lecture from Mom and Dad:

You must be registered for see images

After some photos at his date's house with her parents, he arrives back home for a few pics here. Forget Cinderalla and that pumpkin when you have such a good-looking duet in a Viper:

Then it is off to prom for our favorite couple, as they wave goodbye and head off for the evening's adventures:

Everything went wonderfully and it was truly a night to remember for everybody. We were blessed to be able to offer this opportunity to our son, and even more blessed that he truly earned the right to take it. And yes, the car arrived back safe and sound with nary a scratch. Whew! :2tu:

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when I saw the first picture I was gonna say you look quite young ;) :2tu: Nice story...hope he had a good time :cool:

Casey 111

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im sure he was the most popular guy at prom. I know getting to drive a car like that on any day would make it a memorible one, especially a night thats already memorible.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Thats a good son, Chris! Somebody taught him well...

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations on raising such a responsible teenager - not an easy feat these days - but the fact that he respects you and you respect him is a great reward.

Isn't it nice to be able to create such memories for your kids?

You are truly fortunate. :laugh:

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hats off to ya chris, my 16 year has also earned the right to drive my viper.
i dont let him drive it with anyone in the car yet and he has one more year
before his senior prom, i'll cross that bridge when i come to it. reading your
post reminds me of the commercial of the kid showing up in a dodge mini van
to pick up his prom date and the dad gives him the viper, hard choice, which
one would you want your daughter going in, lol.

ME, NEITHER, I'LL RENT A LIMO AND PAY THE DRIVER TO KEEP A EYE ON HER. :2tu:

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
"Congratulations on raising such a responsible teenager - not an easy feat these days - but the fact that he respects you and you respect him is a great reward.

Isn't it nice to be able to create such memories for your kids?

You are truly fortunate."

:2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good story, and I am soooooo glad Mary brought him up right, ha!!!

Something about those Marshall men and good looking brunettes ------so I guess ,you did teach him well, too!

supratime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL!! Im taking my girlfriend to the prom this weekend with the viper heheee :2tu:

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like he had lots of instruction (driving and otherwise I presume) prior to your handing over the keys.

Given that, I'd probably be more worried about where he parked it than how he drove it!

Good job dad :headbang:

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

Awesome story!

My dad also let me take his Viper RT/10 to my senior prom two years ago. I was the talk of the school for the rest of the school year, even more so because I have my dad's first name. My dad has his name on the licence plate :D ...can you see where I'm going with this? I had a lot of explaining to do that next monday...

...and here is just another story of the awe the viper instills in crowds:

As I was getting ready to leave prom, I was just taking my time since there was a huge line to leave the parking lot. Got in, pulled around the parking lot to an empty area about 50 or so yards away from the "line" that was exiting the parking lot, and sat there idling just waiting for the place to empty out and leave without some ding-**** trying to mess around with me.

THE LINE STOPPED. There about 4 cars that halted the line, and they were all waving at me to go ahead and take off. I figure it would have been at least 5-10 minutes before I would have left otherwise, but instead I only waited for about 30seconds, idling off to the side.

Several times during prom, I had to go outside upon request. The school principal and liason officer both said "Don't worry... We'll be keeping an extra eye on the car tonight... "

I was one of the voices in the Iowa tragedy thread, and although I am no longer a teenager ( turned 20 two weeks ago ), I still feel that not all teens can be lumped into the same group.

Congrats on being one of the "cool Viper Dads" :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery