That damn front sill fender nut

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok - started my install tonight and got both sills off - That front sill nut - you know the one I am talking about - what a PITA! Any secrets going back. This would have literally been a 15 minute job if you weren't for that one damn nut. It will even be harder to tighten with everything else in place. Some say cut a small hole in the fender skirt? Any help?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm assuming you used a 1/4" drive socket and ratchet right? It's really easy- take the socket and grind it down on the face side to shorten the overall height. Using one of the newer, slimmer ratchets makes it a piece of cake! They also make a 1/4" drive breaker bar that's really slim as well.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve got the answer to your prayers I believe. I have pictures to add to help show my explanation but posting them is difficult for me. I can email them.

I’ll try my best to explain. If you were to sit down and look in your wheel well lip near where the fender meets the side sill. The inner lip of the side sill is narrower in about a 1+” long area near the upper end of the sill. Take and remove the screws that attach inner fender shroud to the sill and a couple of them that actually attach to the fender itself.

Using a plastic “stick”, carefully pry back the inner fender in the area where the side sill lip is narrowed down. It only needs to be moved a little. Look behind it and VOILA! There is the nut that you have been fighting. The narrowed lip allows a ¼ drive 10mm socket to fit onto the nut.

Please note that the nut does not have to be removed all of the way. Back it off enough to allow the side sill to drop off of the “nub” that is on the bottom edge of the fender which fits into a slot in the sill and properly locates the side sill.

Hope this helps

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The above ways of removing the nut will all work. Just remember you do not need to completely remove the 2 nuts, you only need to loosen them as the side sill is slotted. If you elect to drill a small hole you can get rubber plugs at NAPA in 3/4".

OP
OP
R

rblong

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Used a dremel - made small hole as Robbie told me when I bought my stuff - worked like a charm! All back on and took her for a drive tonight - sound great, but I will know for sure once I get the other mods on this weekend.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Used a dremel - made small hole as Robbie told me when I bought my stuff - worked like a charm! All back on and took her for a drive tonight - sound great, but I will know for sure once I get the other mods on this weekend.

Bruce,

I am glad you like the exhaust and the sound. It will sound even better after a few hundred miles.

Again, Thank you for your business,

Robbie