The brakes work...

Lee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's hard to believe that a red and silver Viper can be so hard to see!?

I was driving in mild traffic tonight when a Nissan Altima left turned in front of me like I wasn't there. I have a Momo steering wheel so I couldn't use my horn and I locked up the brakes. I slid to within a couple feet of the guy. I have never seen smoke billowing out of a car from hammering the brakes in traffic like this did - you would have thought I blew a radiator hose. It felt pretty cool though - the way the car "squatted" when I hit the brakes. That's the first time I've had to do that and I am extremely impressed. Thanks to Tom's rear brake calipers!!!

Now I need to get the horn to work. Good thing I didn't need the air bag - it's in my barn.:2tu:

I just thought someone else might like to share their "stop fast" stories rather than all of the "go fast" stories.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure you sterilize that drivers seat......................................... :eek:

Glad we didn't hear of another incident :2tu:

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good reaction is the ticket here. You can never trust the other drivers so you have to always be aware of everything around you. Good to hear no one or nothing got damaged.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
these days, other drivers are idjuts

never really had to stomp on the brakes, i think i'll go give it a try to see the limits

glad it came out ok

btw, you didn't mention your emotional reaction, did the other guy even know what he did?

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Thanks to Tom's rear brake calipers!!!"

My guess is this played a big part in not hitting that car.

I am installing mine in a week or so!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've probably got flatspots now. Hopefully not too bad.

Yup, Tom's calipers are the way to go. What kind of pad are you running?

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going through an intersection a few years back at around 50mph. An old lady starts to turn left right across my path. As I locked up the brakes I leaned on the horn hoping she would get out of my way. But she had no clue I was about to hit her. From the approach speed in my normal car stopping distance estimates I was sure I would hit her. My mind was already thinking "I can't believe I'm going to wreck the Viper". Somehow I stopped and missed her. She putted through the intersection as if nothing happened. I can see the look on the driver behind her and his eyes were the size of baseballs! :omg:

As a huge cloud of tire smoke drifted past me I was amazed I didn't hit anything. After that I enter intersections with all senses at full alert.......

BTW I had to replace all 4 tires... :D

OP
OP
L

Lee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've probably got flatspots now. Hopefully not too bad.

Yup, Tom's calipers are the way to go. What kind of pad are you running?

It currently haas EBC dustless pads.

I haven't had a chance to look at the tires but I would assume that there is some damage - this car will get new wheels and tires next winter.

It was definately an "oh sh:crazy2:t" moment - the other guy just gave an acknowledging wave.

Hey Euch...my chest was pounding for about thirty minutes - I had to pull over into a parking lot and spend some time taking deep cleansing breaths.

Once again, it was an amazing feeling how that car squatted down.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet story and a good idea to post your stopping drama stories... Haven't had to use 100% braking yet on the road. But have had to use 100% ATTENTION on numerous occasions that had my heart beating a bit too. I'll have my SRT/Dave's Big Brake kit installed next week. Right now I have EBC Reds on the front and will have new Hawks on the "GTS fronts now on the rears". I'll be curious after I bed them in how it will now "squat" at the limit. Stoptech rotors all around too......

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually have more disc wear on the rear rotors than on my fronts using Tom's 40mm calipers. I'm running PFC 01 front pads w/StopTech OEM replacement slots, PFC 90 rear pads and disabled proportioning valve.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang