The competition is moving very fast.

IA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess dodge will have to come up with better reasons on why they changed the current styling or they better bring on the coupe ASAP.

Autoweek - M5

GregSRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What does body style have to do with it? Numbers are numbers. Besides, I don't think the M5 and Viper are marketed to the same folks. (Same income, yes, but not same psychographic profile).

mjguflaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately for BMW, I suspect it will also continue down their current path of grotesque deformity-like styling and way too much weight. Yeah it'll have 500 hp, but it will probably weigh 5000 lbs and drive like a Chest o' drawers with an engine strapped to it.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figure that it will be the same 4000lbs that the current M5 is.
Which will make it a VERY fast sedan, but nothing to bother the Viper, having comparable HP, lower TQ and carrying 600Lbs more weight to boot.

-Dean.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Its still an ugly box, with a little hint of a sneer.

Looks like it is aimed at aging baby boomers. Yuk!

IMHO

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mmm have you ever raced an m5 with a stock gts? i have. i have owned both cars. at speeds the current m5 is barely slower than the gts. if the beemer has a car jump at 80 it will take you up to 140 to catch it in the gts. the m5 is geared short, has an excellent engine and moves surprisingly well for a 4000 pound sedan. dont be fooled. drive one and you will know what all the fuss is about those cars.

more data points: the new e55 has 480 blown horses and the 0-150 is equal to 0-150 of the srt-10. and the merc is porkier than the new m5 and has 20hp less. do the math.

give credit where credit is due ;)

alex
02 gts
few other cars

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think the M5 and Viper are marketed to the same folks. (Same income, yes, but not same psychographic profile).
I know one Viper owner that was debating between the M5 and GTS. Thank goodness he didn't listen to me (WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?). He did later get his M5, but sold it about a year or so later. I know of another owner that has both M5 and GTS on this board. So don't go around saying that the M5 will NEVER take sales from a Viper.

This 500 HP M5 news has been out. I heard it from about 1 1/2 years ago.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Ok, ok, the M5 is worthy competition. I just don't like the "smugness" of it, or for some reason it doesn't appeal to my mindset.

I do like the looks of the Z4, a LOT. (Not to mention the great Z8)

Retro beauty to stir my 42 year old greaser soul....

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
M5 engine in the Z4 for under $50K 'might' be competition for the SRT. As it is, it's just a wannabe. Style is subjective....I see 260 Z4's per day going down the line.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting....

I raced an M5 from a 45 MPH roll to 140 MPH in my 1998 GTS (tubes/filter/3.73 gears), and beat him BADLY. I don't think these cars are that close.... Current M5 would have a tough time with a LS1 Vette, IMHO. Would be a close race....

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think the M5 engine would have a chance to fit in a Z4, my $.02

Lee did say the M5 felt soooo slow compared to the 500 HP GTS. That's part of the reason why he sold, why have two performance cars when one makes the other feel slow? But this 500 HP M5 may change that. We'll have to see.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
During the time I owned both I spent a lot of time at bimmer.org reminding the gentlemen there how slooow the m5 was compared to the GTS. I was their worst nightmare, a guy who owned both, loved both but spoke the truth. Regarding the C5, I am also a Vette owner, the M5, properly launched, and that ain't easy, it seems like you hit the rev limiter at 20mph, can take a C5, not a Z06 though. If the standard C5 is really, really well driven, it's very interesting! And nerve wracking for the C5 guy, he does NOT expect it to be even close.

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lets not forget;

The SRT and the Zo6 Vette are incredible bargains, American made and easily maintainable!

When motor trend did the "speeding" issue comparo, the SRT whooped a#$ on anything under $200K! Imagine what an accomplishment this is for Viper. God, just imagine what PVO could offer in an SRT for another 15k and selling street legal for 100k. The SRT and the Vette's are incredible values.

I think PVO is just getting warmed up!

Jim

DaPurpleRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you think this new M5 is going to run 11.7 in the 1/4 and 3.7 0-60? And it's gonna stop 60-0 in under 96 feet? Outhandle the Vipe?

Didn't think so, but hey, it's competing with the D in DC.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the new M5 will have to be in the 11.7 range. Look at this new SL60 that Mercedes is bringing out soon. 604 hp??? Are they nuts? We are near Armaggedon, the new 'gas crunch ' or Jesus's return.