The truth about Dlm and my Car!!!!! (long)

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I get ims and emails every day by people asking about my car and why it's taking so long, I figuired I'll just come out and tell you all the truth for once lol :p I originally droped my car off @ Dlm in early July going for a level II with a promiss date of late oct. Well I could not leave well enough alone, I decided that 800rwhp++ was not enough, and Doug had showed me a newer version of the system that looked real promissing, so what the hell you only live once. All I will say about the new set up is that it will allow for more boost while eliminating belt slipage :eek: Doug was always honest with me from the start and told me that he will have to custom make everything for this system and that it will take time, since none of these parts were on the shelf. I said hell, you only live once, and I want the best available now, or in this case the future lol :p Well it's been 4 months later and my car is in it's final stages ~ 75% done :D Doug has been a champ in dealing with me and my silly quest to be different. He spent many hours on the phone with me, and even made phone calls to various parts people to show how hard it was to get some of this stuff :mad: Hell I asked him for the size of the belt I needed, which has to be custom made to see if I can locate it and nothing. I told Doug I was hoping to race in the coming V10 nationals in Fl and he said it was iffy, and could not promiss anything since he still has to make new brackets, and other little things. He even offered to put the current level 4 in my car so I can race, and then come back for the other system when he has all the bracketry made for it :2tu: I hate to do anything twice, so I guess I will continue waiting to be different. Doug I want to thank you for all the hard work you have put and are still putting into my car You are the man, now stop reading this forum and get back to work lol. They say good things come to those who are patient, in my heart I know this is true, so all you F*(ker$ that bug me everyday about my car, just wait I will tear you all a new one lol :p

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're finally out of the closet.... :) Congrats! I can't wait to hear how the best SC system in the market performs with all the newer tech that no one has yet.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a few questions concerning all these SC cars with slipping belts:

Why has nobody tried using a cogged belt instead of a ribbed belt? Is nobody using a tension idler? :confused:

There are tables for standard belt drive ratios that give the allowable HP/belt ratings. Belt width, tension, degrees of belt wrap and belt construction directly affect the suitability of a given design for the intended loads. If the belt is slipping, you need more tension, or more contact area on the smallest pulley. Running too much tension or not engough contact area shortens belt life drastically. Ever looked (even casually) at the blower drive for a blown alcohol or Top Fuel motor? Those belts transfer nearly 1000hp and have very short service lives, but they don't slip.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The biggest problem with cog belts is longevity. They don't slip, but they wear out pretty quickly.

The 8 or 10 rib belts used on most of the Viper blower systems out there typically don't slip too much under daily driving. It's when they're put under the stress of WOT 1/4 mile runs and such that you need to tighten them between runs. Smaller pulleys (necessary for more boost) generally don't allow for enough wrap of the belt to keep them from slipping.

The tuners that have figured out the optimum solution are the ones putting out high-reliability cars that make monster HP and run fast at the track.

When I drive my car around town, I never need to tighten the belt.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
0 Belt slip after 7 months and about 8k on this belt. Just plent of bike kills and constant boost and redline driving :) !!

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
smokin and i have 0 belt slip after several thousand miles on ours as well...

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
If the driven pulley (the one with the load on it) was made bigger, that would give it more arc of contact with the belt.

But that would in turn reduce the drive ratio, reducing rpms on the blower.

So how about using a helical gear set rpm mulitpier in the hub of the driven pulley? That would allow for more arc of contact, without sacrificing blower rpms?

Just a thought!

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doug takes his time when he works on your car and it shows in the end result.
Quality and performance. It doesn't get any better than that.

CStegall

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig.........how stupid. Procharger (ATI) has come out with a chain drive for their outlaw type s/c's.....I look for that to trickle down to some of the midrange blowers. Good idea :)

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about some sort of gearset that allows no slippage?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cog driven or gear driven w/ no slippage = lots of strain on the motor. Let's image that engine speed is at a "stable" rpm and then you downshift... you'll throw the belt b/c there is zero play in a cog.

not good for a daily driver...

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ONLY time you have to worry about belt slip is a newly installed belt. Once you've tensioned it correctly it should last a long time.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Dr Roofs car is anything to go by Mike - the wait will be worth it. The Dr's car went pretty good in San Antonio eh? ;)

If Doug became a Spider and had 8 arms and legs - he could speed your car up for you - but he isn't so I guess in the meantime you'll just have to dream about what that beast is going to be like!

Look forward to hearing your report when you get it! :headbang: :2tu:

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a little more inside info on Mike's car, and it should be the car to measure up against, when done, in terms of being a daily driver that has more guts than a 500 pound woman.

-Me

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanx all, Believe me, I am the most impatient [******] in the world, but Doug had made a believer out of me :) When I decided to Sc my car, I spoke to Doug on a tues and had the car to him later in the week :p He didnt think I was that excited and did not have a chance to preorder anything for the car lol. Manny dont over hype me dude, I'd be lucky to mph as high as Roof, where my car will shine will be on the street ;) Doug can build each one diff depending what the car will be used for, pretty wild I think :headbang:

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I was sooooo wanting to bust Moundir's a$$ in Bradington :laugh:
bring it, I will run you with Gerald's car on the street if I have to lol :p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members