Thermostat install?

OP
OP
L

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm doing it all in one shot. I've just added a new larger liquid intercooler from DLM and a larger aluminum radiator from Alan's. Both were a delight to work with. Great for shipping and right there on the phone for any questions. I'm very impressed.
Hopefully this will give me cooler temps for more consistent power all of the time!

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know that it won't change the operating temps, but wanted to leave the option open later for a better radiator if I decide to do that. I was changing the coolant anyway and decided might as well switch the thermostat while I'm at it.

So I was also thinking of sending my pcm to you guys later on for a re-flash, but read where you need a 170 degree t-stat. I opted for a 180 after talking with C. Tator, he mentioned that a few of the people with 170's were getting too cold too long trouble codes stored. I didn't want that so I just went with the 180.

Is it mandatory to have the 170 for a re-flash?

Tested out the 180 T stat tonight. Temps in the 60's, went for a cruise. Fairly spirited driving mostly in 3rd and 4th gears. Before the t stat switch out the engine ran fairly cool, like right around 195 or slightly above and never overheated. With the 180 t stat it does run what seems to be 15 to 20 degrees cooler water temps. I know some say it can't happen with just the thermostat alone, but I have now seen it with my own eyes, mine does run cooler with just a cooler t stat.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tested out the 180 T stat tonight. Temps in the 60's, went for a cruise. Fairly spirited driving mostly in 3rd and 4th gears. Before the t stat switch out the engine ran fairly cool, like right around 195 or slightly above and never overheated. With the 180 t stat it does run what seems to be 15 to 20 degrees cooler water temps. I know some say it can't happen with just the thermostat alone, but I have now seen it with my own eyes, mine does run cooler with just a cooler t stat.

Sean Roe was very adamant when I spoke to him about cooling systems, that the stock radiator is really OK for most everything that you do in your Viper. The biggest impacts are the t-stat and the fascia kit. I've already got a new RDR radiator I'll finally get to putting in shortly. Just in time for winter. Bought it BEFORE the talk with Sean...

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have just the T-stat and mine runs cooler too. So long as air keeps moving through the radiator the lower t-stat does help. I was contemplating having my PCM programmed to turn on the fans sooner which should help when sitting in traffic for prolonged periods of time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery