They're Everywhere

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: They\'re Everywhere

Lee...the Supra=Nissan was a joke or at least intended to be(sigh).

Yes, Woodhouse does now own a Porsche dealership. Porsches are extremely plentiful here. I can get a 4k mile 04 Carrera Cabriolet for $67k.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I was looking for a daily driver, it wouldn't be a Porsche OR a Viper. I like having an Escalade around the house to carry people around in.

vipernate

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If he is only going to keep the car for 6 months, then why not just buy a porsche or Viper now and then the other 6 months down the road? My advice would be to buy a used porsche, then go for a used coupe Viper 6 months later. That way, you eliminate the huge hit from being the first buyer with both cars.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I was looking for a daily driver, it wouldn't be a Porsche OR a Viper. I like having an Escalade around the house to carry people around in.

Speaking of Escalades, I have a nice one for sale! You won't loose anything on that when you want to sell it later. I have already eaten up that! :D

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Escalades and Navigators are the way to go for daily drivers!

Dock (Atlanta)

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I haven't seen a 996 Turbo on the roads or parking lots of Atlanta in *MONTHS*.

The 996 Turbo is the most versitile sports car in the world...it's build quality is superb and it's driving controls are balanced like few cars in production. But it really depends on what you are looking for in a sports car. I personally look for how a car delivers the "driving experience", and couldn't care less about how many I see on the road, what others think about the car, or how many "looks" I get while driving, or while the car is sitting in a parking lot.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

H.I.E.S. (private school) in Sandy Springs. Two twin turbos and one turbo in the parking lot, one McLaren...no Vipers of any year.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We have been in the throes of deciding upon a "second" car (toy). We had narrowed it to the new SRT-10 coupe or a Porsche.

We had further considered and decided that a Porsche was the best choice. Since they depreciate more rapidly than a Viper, and since we do not keep a car longer than a year, the Porsce would have to be a used model (having taken its initial "hit").

My husband took one daughter (12) to see her brother in concert (9). When they arrived, both were taken by a Turbo Carrera S Cabriolet. Triple black.

He was now all but convinced that a Porsche was the only way to go.

As he walked across the parking lot, he saw five more Porsches (2004-2005), all but one was a cabriolet and the one was a TT.

He says he shrugged it off as "well, it's because they are popular" (no question there). When he got to the Viper (which he had parked away from the crowd), there were several men near his car, and he assumed the worst that someone had clipped it.

Instead, they were discussing the Porsche and peaking inside. One introduced himself as the TT Porsche owner. Three of the others were also Porsche owners. The final one had an SL55 Mercedes. They had all manner of questions about the Viper, and politeness caused husband and daughter about 45 minutes until the other men had their questions answered.

He was now not as certain about his Porsche decision.

He drove home (12 miles) and on the way, my daughter counted nine additional Porsches. She said all but two had slowed to see the Viper.

They, of course, saw no other Vipers, and nothing on the road sounded or looked like it.

His Porsche interest waned.

The problem is that he does not want a new coupe now...he wants my convertible.

I have fixed him a drink. He is resting comfortably. Tomorrow, I shall tell him that this was all part of a dream. He's quite old. He'll believe that. Poor baby.

OK, now NOMERCY and BrianE will weigh in (our Porsche guys).

Alice & The Viper Blog

I will be test driving a 2004 Viper soon , so I will reserve any comments until I have had a chance to drive it. But I am certain I will enjoy the experience.

Having said that, I have owned Porsche my entire life and ;

1. Porsche is a fun car to drive and I do not know how someone can be bored driving the car. Responsiveness and handling is uncompromised.
2. Maintenance is high as is depreciation on the 996's and 997's. If you want minimal depreciation while sacrificing technological innovations purchase a 993TT. The last of the air cooled engines circa 1996-1998. That is, if you can find one, otherwise expect considerable depreciation on mass produced 996's and 7's.
3. It is very true that you see alot more of Porsches then Vipers. Again mass production ideologies of Porsche have caused this dilemma. A considerbale change from earlier production models.
3. If you need to purchase a 996 or 997. Go with the turbo models. The engines have proven themselves to be much more reliable.
4. Make certain the car is not USED and is within warranty. Otherwise you could be in for some trouble if you run into major mechanical repairs such as RMS , which has sometimes caused engine failures.

Hope this helps.
Cheers

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Alice;

I've got your answer for Doc. He needs the Cayenne turbo. I own one, and with four wheel drive, the most beautiful interior leather (sport seats option) and 0-60 in a hair over 5 seconds, it is a tough machine to beat.

Comfort, utility, handling, performance, fit and finish. The Cayenne Turbo is a beutiful thing to me.

Plus, I can tow almost 8,000 pounds, take five people, and go where few vehicles but a land Rover can go. With snow tires, the Cayenne is Damn near invinceable as a do it all car.

My 2 cents.

Jim W

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Los Angeles is lousy with 911's of all iterations (993, 996,997 etc.). They are more common than Mustangs out here.

Tonight they where filming a commercial for the new Porsche Caymen S (basically a hard top Boxster) that is a sweet looking car.

If he is going the sports car route your husband should get a Ferarri 360, there are probably great deals now that the F430 is out.

Mastiff

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My buddy has a brand new Boxster S. Cobalt Blue metallic and the 19 inch wheels. 280hp really doesnt excite me all that much (considering my SUV has more) but its a heck of a nice car and handles like its on rails. I thought 60K was a little rich for it but he's happy with it.

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My buddy has a brand new Boxster S. Cobalt Blue metallic and the 19 inch wheels. 280hp really doesnt excite me all that much (considering my SUV has more) but its a heck of a nice car and handles like its on rails. I thought 60K was a little rich for it but he's happy with it.

60K?!?!?! Wow. Only 10K more and he could have almost doubled his hp.

Mastiff

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exactly. His has every option on it and the paint was a special $3500 option. The cool thing is that you may see alot of Boxsters but you wont see many like his on the road. (at least where I live)

Dock (Atlanta)

Enthusiast
Reaction score

H.I.E.S. (private school) in Sandy Springs. Two twin turbos and one turbo in the parking lot, one McLaren...no Vipers of any year.

I'll drive by and take a look...that way I can increase my Turbo sightings by a significant number.

I guess it's bad form to have the same car that a few others have?

troyrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

JMO
I have a Boxster and love it! It's my daily driver and it is very enjoyable.
I love cars. Not brands!
The porsche is different than the Viper. There 2 different beast.
Daily driver=Boxster
Great interior, comfortable, good gas milage, top up or top down today?, handling EXCELLENT! Chances of people messing with it when I'm not around-not likely. Ricers botherimg me-hardly any. Plus my wife loves driving it!
My favorite car-Viper!
We all know why!
You can't go wrong with a Porsche for a daily driver.

Just curious if you have considered a BMW M3 or M5-Probably the BEST daily drivers you can get! At least in my opinion. :)

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No, what I was saying is that he was walking away from the Mamba and saw one of the TT Porsches and thought it was incredible. He was with our 12 year old daughter, and when he remarked how much he liked the Porsche, she swooped her arm across the parking lot (it was an orchestra concert night) and there was a large number of Porsches. She then said "Now Daddy look back at mom's Viper...do you really want a car that looks like everyone else's?"

We have owned 911s in the past; I think that they are great cars, but if he bought himself a performance car, it would likely be the `06 SRT-10 Coupe. Knowing him? He will likely see it as impractical, but it was great seeing him drive the Viper and making the decision between another Porsche and a second Viper...even if he does not elect to act upon the decision. His racing days are long, long over and a stock car with different tires, ring/pinion and exhaust would be fine with him. He could Zaino/Pinnacle himself to death.

Alice & The Viper Blog

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score

A reasonable case can be made, Vic, that my elevator has never stopped on all floors.

When I scan a post (and I hate those long ones that I write...boring), I look for words like aardvark, axolotyl (it's a fish), I-bolt, tugboat, hermaphroditic, and ingrown toenail. Sometimes the ones about Vipers are pretty cool too.

I have four favorite posts:
1. "Hi guys, I am new here and just got a new Viper SRT-10 from Bill Pemberton for $47,500, delivered with a Paxton. Thanks Bill! You are the greatest. Now, I have a question: has anyone notice that the sill temperature is high? Has anyone installed a Corset exhaust and I have heard that 4.11 gears are better for the street."

2. "I drive my car between 60,000 and 70,000 miles per year, use Mobile One and have never done an oil change. I track my car with run flats and they are fine. Do any of your engines ever run hot? I mean too hot to put your tongue on the exhaust manifold."

3. "Corvettes stink, Porsches stink, and I think everyone here stinks. I am 17 and would not own a stupit Viper. I think Damsel-Chrysler sux big time, and the new coupe is a joke. My Supra would run rings around it. Nissan rulez."

4. But my fav is when I make a cogent point, more erudite, eloquent and entirely without misspelled woids. And some guy whose waist is bigger than his IQ has nothing to offer so he remarks about my anatomy while gazing at his own ******** through a microscope.

Then again, that's just me.

I haven't been here in a while but have always enjoyed your writings, this one may be the best yet........way to go Alice :2tu:

Alice & The Viper Blog

jdavis

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Alice,After reading all this thread, your true desire is apparent.
So-o-o, get the red SRT-10 coupe for yourself and give your SRT to Doc.
You both will be happy and when Doc decides to sell the convertible in 6 months it won't matter. You will still have the Viper that you wanted all along.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

jdavis-
Alice already had a red SRT10, before her black mamba.
:)

fan club pres
observer of details
pain in the a

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It all depends on what he really wants out of the car. If he specifically wants a car that's fun to drive, doesn't get too much attention, practical, and blends in the Porsche is the right choice.

If he wants the highest performing, best looking, most exciting car the viper should do it.

jimster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

..When I scan a post (and I hate those long ones that I write...boring), I look for words like aardvark, axolotyl (it's a fish)....

I'f yer gonna use big words use them correctly .......an Axolotl is a larval Ambystomid Salamander. Not a fish ;)

I own a cuppla Porsches in addition to my RT10 and for sheer fun nothing beats a.......Diablo. If you want a car that's REALLY fun to drive, a used Diablo VT is the bomb. If you buy one that'***** the bottom of the depreciation curve you can drive it for a few years then sell it for what you paid for it. That's the downside of Porsche ownership, the cars take a huge depreciation hit.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

..When I scan a post (and I hate those long ones that I write...boring), I look for words like aardvark, axolotyl (it's a fish)....

I'f yer gonna use big words use them correctly .......an Axolotl is a larval Ambystomid Salamander. Not a fish ;)

I own a cuppla Porsches in addition to my RT10 and for sheer fun nothing beats a.......Diablo. If you want a car that's REALLY fun to drive, a used Diablo VT is the bomb. If you buy one that'***** the bottom of the depreciation curve you can drive it for a few years then sell it for what you paid for it. That's the downside of Porsche ownership, the cars take a huge depreciation hit.

Like Jim said, if you can afford a Diablo that would easily be the best choice. Eventually I'll probably pick up an earlier 2WD model.

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score

jdavis-
Alice already had a red SRT10, before her black mamba.
:)

fan club pres
observer of details
pain in the a

And with a 06 to come. WOW. I love a person who can make up their mind. Way to go :2tu:

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<The problem is that he does not want a new coupe now...he wants my convertible. >

-perfect, you get the coupe and give him yours