Think I busted my rear end.. Help

Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So i took the car out today... hit it in first shift'd into second and POP! i hear a clank clank clank... seems to me that only the right rear wheels is turning... So im guessing i busted my diff no? I luckly got it to a safe place as I was about 4 miles from a friends house. Drove 20mph in first as I lost a total of 3 bearings according to my buddy who was following me...

How weak are these stock diffs? I wasn't even beating on the car what so ever...:(

Advice?

Thanks

Reaction score
Are you sure it was the diff and not a shaft? Does the car have any mods that would stress the rear end? Need a little back ground on it first. You could just have a bad one though who knows, sure hope nothing else was ruined from driving after.

OP
OP
I

Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are you sure it was the diff and not a shaft? Does the car have any mods that would stress the rear end? Need a little back ground on it first. You could just have a bad one though who knows, sure hope nothing else was ruined from driving after.

Its a 04 mamba with 15k miles
green filters
mopar exhaust
VEC 3

Would the car still move if the diff went out? It could possibly just be the shaft since i was still able to drive it...no? Will all these parts be covered under the 7yr warrenty?

Last edited:

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol, you wouldnt be able to see 3 bearings get lost/fall out if it was your diff, you ALSO would be leaking fluid EVERYWHERE for those pieces to come out. And of course it would never actually move.

I vote with Mark, its one of your 1/2 shafts. Also those have more of a chance of droping out little parts as you drive along if you drove it after you busted it.

Jon

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i drove about 100 when my diff broke. in slow speeds and turned right i heard the clunking noise, sounded almost like a flat tire. when i went a bit faster the noise went away. yes under warranty

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i drove about 100 when my diff broke. in slow speeds and turned right i heard the clunking noise, sounded almost like a flat tire. when i went a bit faster the noise went away. yes under warranty

Was that 100mph driving forwards or backwards big D? :D

OP
OP
I

Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
lol, you wouldnt be able to see 3 bearings get lost/fall out if it was your diff, you ALSO would be leaking fluid EVERYWHERE for those pieces to come out. And of course it would never actually move.

I vote with Mark, its one of your 1/2 shafts. Also those have more of a chance of droping out little parts as you drive along if you drove it after you busted it.

Jon

What would cause these 1/2 shafts to break?:( I did install KWs recently... Would the stiff suspension have anything to do with this since the car doesn't seem to dip between shifts anymore?:dunno:

OP
OP
I

Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How difficult is it to replace the 1/2 shafts? Is it a diy or should i just bring it in? How much do you think its going to run me?

Thanks

Reaction score
Was wheel hop involved at anytime now or before?

Do you have an extended service contract on the car?

What would cause these 1/2 shafts to break?:( I did install KWs recently... Would the stiff suspension have anything to do with this since the car doesn't seem to dip between shifts anymore?:dunno:

Reaction score
I think you would be better off having a dealer or shop do the work but you can do it yourself, many have before. The shafts are $805 each list price and they come with both CV joints so all you do is slip in and out. You will need a slide hammer though to remove from the housing and a ball joint separator.

Mark

How difficult is it to replace the 1/2 shafts? Is it a diy or should i just bring it in? How much do you think its going to run me?

Thanks

OP
OP
I

Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Was wheel hop involved at anytime now or before?

Do you have an extended service contract on the car?

There was no wheel hop when it broke... shift'd into second and pop! I noticed the wheel hop more before the coilovers but really never abused her..:(

No extended service contract.. I was hoping the parts would be covered under the 7yr 70k mile warrenty

Thanks

Reaction score
Should be covered depending on your dealers thoughts about mods.

There was no wheel hop when it broke... shift'd into second and pop! I noticed the wheel hop more before the coilovers but really never abused her..:(

No extended service contract.. I was hoping the parts would be covered under the 7yr 70k mile warrenty

Thanks

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet you can get nice used ones for 1/2 the money... Call JonB.

To replace one, you'll have to open 8 tiny bolts. Not that complicated....

OP
OP
I

Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bet you can get nice used ones for 1/2 the money... Call JonB.

To replace one, you'll have to open 8 tiny bolts. Not that complicated....

I'll keep that in mind...:2tu:

Is there a write on installing 1/2 shafts? How long would it take? As of right now the car is about 50miles from the my viper guy Bill Sampagnaro former viperclub president...

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You broke your half shafts with street tires?

If thats the case do I really really need to worry about breaking mine with ps2s and a paxton? :(

Would the half shafts break before the rear end?

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll keep that in mind...:2tu:

Is there a write on installing 1/2 shafts? How long would it take? As of right now the car is about 50miles from the my viper guy Bill Sampagnaro former viperclub president...

No, but its easy. Last time I changed one, it took about 30 minutes. maybe an hour if you want to go slow or the little nuts give you problems...

Jack car up.
Remove 2 bolts (and the strap) from the differential side.
Put transmission on neutral, rotate the halfshaft 180 degrees.
Remove the other strap from differential side.
Remove rear tire.
Remove 2 bolts and the strap from the tire side. Now you can wrench easier from the wheel well.
Rotate tire and remove last strap which is hanging with 2 bolts.

If it is the same as Gen1/2, only tool you need is a 8mm wrench, preferrably a long one, these little suckers are tight, they have been lock tighted in...

If you bought a used one, the u-joints are there already, so you can continue to attching the half shaft.

If you have not previously wrenched, dont do it. If you have good/decent mechanical "talents", this is about 3 on a scale of 10.

Buy NEW bolts (all 8 of them!) and new (4) straps. They form after the existing u-joint and new ones will have the lock tite on them. Tighten properly and enjoy the rest of the summer!!!

OP
OP
I

Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score

If thats the case do I really really need to worry about breaking mine with ps2s and a paxton? :(

YUP! Im running Pirelli 345/225/20s... That's what I was thinking was how in the world can I snap a half shaft on the street on street tires no major mods... (green filters, catback, VEC3, and KW coilovers...)

Reaction score
Well I hope I don't jinx myself but we have not had a customer with or without a Paxton have half shaft issues. I know they are out there but I truly feel they come from un regulated wheel hop, it can do lot's of damage very quickly.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
22k miles on stock 1/2 shafts, paxton'd since day one from Woodhouse.. no issues here....

And dont tell Mark (aka mjorgensen), but I did actually do a 10 sec pass on DRs 1 time :)

Jon

PS. As great as they have been, I certainly would never recommend someone getting a 'used' set. You have no idea how much abuse they had, even idiots a few 100 miles from new can do stupid wheel hop things with them. Buy new, save the risk.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We were at a local car show a day ago and a guy in a firebird newer style said he ran 9s original motor with upgrades he said it had 525 hp plus nitrous I think he said 200 shot and slicks. How can this run 9s? Supposivly some of the guys seen him do it. I was thinking if that runs 9s then 800 hp viper should run that everyday will full slicks...

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what newer style firebird? they haven't made those for like what 7 or 8 yrs?

Reaction score
Can be done if the suspension is built for the launch (stick axle) and gears (60' times 1.5 -1.7?). What was the MPH? I bet it's quick but not fast. That Firebird is also about 300# less than a Gen3.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We were at a local car show a day ago and a guy in a firebird newer style said he ran 9s original motor with upgrades he said it had 525 hp plus nitrous I think he said 200 shot and slicks. How can this run 9s? Supposivly some of the guys seen him do it. I was thinking if that runs 9s then 800 hp viper should run that everyday will full slicks...

I watched a guy in a 2000 Camaro run 10.3's. He had about 680 rwhp, slicks and skinnies, car gutted and put in a auto 3 speed, trans brake, all that stuff. Car lifted front wheels and ran hard.

Our cars have great power and torque, but need slicks. But then you break stuff.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razorwire