Thinking about a Paxton, what are the requirements??

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's up guys? I was looking into getting a Paxton, and was wondering if there are any mods that must be done to the car prior to the paxton installation? Or, can a car be bone stock and be ok?

And, what do SRT's put to the wheels with a Paxton? more than 600 rwhp?

Thanks guys

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to do nothing but tune it on the dyno. mine put down 600 rwhp on a mustang dyno. I think 600 to 650 should not be a problem

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was wondering what's the lowest the boost can be set at? (to put the least amount of stress on otherwise stock parts)

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The paxton does not have a variable boost setting. You need to add a variable blowoff or change pulleys...

Its been said 1000 times. Custom tuning is essential.

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to do nothing but tune it on the dyno. mine put down 600 rwhp on a mustang dyno. I think 600 to 650 should not be a problem

So dyno tune is all, eh? How about pully's, like someone else stated?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corsa track exhaust adds about 40-50 hp combined with Paxton. Mine dyno'd at 690hp on Dynojet. Would advise expert installation. Kit has 2 extra fuel pumps, controller, sensors, intercooler, etc. You must tap into the pan for an oil supply, return line.
Lots of these running around, with few complaints from professional installs. Some have done them themselves, but have heard a few disasters.

Paxton boost levels are controlled by your right foot. The higher the revs, the higher the boost. If you want to keep the boost down, shift a little earlier.

Believe SVSi in Chicago could do a professional installation. Not too far from you, and they have lots of experience with boosted Vipers. Check with Motor City ViperClub to see who does these in Mich.

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corsa track exhaust adds about 40-50 hp combined with Paxton. Mine dyno'd at 690hp on Dynojet. Would advise expert installation. Kit has 2 extra fuel pumps, controller, sensors, intercooler, etc. You must tap into the pan for an oil supply, return line.
Lots of these running around, with few complaints from professional installs. Some have done them themselves, but have heard a few disasters.

Paxton boost levels are controlled by your right foot. The higher the revs, the higher the boost. If you want to keep the boost down, shift a little earlier.

Believe SVSi in Chicago could do a professional installation. Not too far from you, and they have lots of experience with boosted Vipers. Check with Motor City ViperClub to see who does these in Mich.

Thanks paul.

But I am still confused as to what i MUST have in order to have the Paxton on. Dyno tune, obviously. But what about Pullies like someone stated? Is that a must? How about high flow cats?

Thanks

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, do any of the MI owners know if Dick Scott Dodge have experience in installing Paxtons?

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A good idea is to change the plugs 1 or 2 heat ranges cooler. Also a low temp thermostat. Hi hp Clutch might be needed as well. Also with all that pwoer you will need better tires for traction and if you do that then you will need hi hp half safts.

vd..

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The paxton does not have a variable boost setting. You need to add a variable blowoff or change pulleys...

I really wouldn't want more than 625rwhp max, so are you saying that different pulleys can yield a lower boost level?

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fadi - the items mentioned above are good suggestions but to answer your basic question, you do not need to do anything to a stock viper to install the Paxton kit. The kit is designed specifically for a totally stock car with stock exhaust system. If you have any other modifications to the car, especially on the exhaust side, at a minimum you will need to install the disc in the FMU which allows more fuel flow (i.e with a cat-back exhaust) and/or custom tuning would be a good idea at that point or necessary depending on what else has been done to the car (i.e. full exhaust). I installed the kit in my car which also had a Mopar cat-back exhaust system and I put in an ATI damper during the install. With the stock tune in the split-second box which comes with the kit it did 640 RWHP, with a custom tune it did 710 RWHP so Paxton is leaving some on the table with the stock tune as would be expected. Changing the blower pulley voids the warranty from Paxton and I wouldn't do it with the stock pistons.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i do not think Dick Scott has done any paxton install(i could be wrong), i do know they have put a Roe system or two on gen 2. I would call Rod Harris the service manager to inquire about the install and tuning possiblities at the dealer ship facility.

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fadi - the items mentioned above are good suggestions but to answer your basic question, you do not need to do anything to a stock viper to install the Paxton kit. The kit is designed specifically for a totally stock car with stock exhaust system. If you have any other modifications to the car, especially on the exhaust side, at a minimum you will need to install the disc in the FMU which allows more fuel flow (i.e with a cat-back exhaust) and/or custom tuning would be a good idea at that point or necessary depending on what else has been done to the car (i.e. full exhaust). I installed the kit in my car which also had a Mopar cat-back exhaust system and I put in an ATI damper during the install. With the stock tune in the split-second box which comes with the kit it did 640 RWHP, with a custom tune it did 710 RWHP so Paxton is leaving some on the table with the stock tune as would be expected. Changing the blower pulley voids the warranty from Paxton and I wouldn't do it with the stock pistons.

Thanks Slither, this was exactly what I am looking for. Do you recommend a dyno tune for a Paxton on a completely otherwise stock car?
Thanks a lot, everyone.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fadi, a dyno tune is highly recommended if not a must !
Not only it insures a safe air to fuel ratio, it enables you to get the most out of the Paxton kit... :2tu:

OP
OP
F

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fadi, a dyno tune is highly recommended if not a must !
Not only it insures a safe air to fuel ratio, it enables you to get the most out of the Paxton kit... :2tu:

Thank you.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I can't wait to get a Paxton on. I will keep you guys updated.

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree a dyno run with a wideband should be done to the car just to check the A/F ratio to make sure the fuel system is functioning properly, however on a STOCK car you do not need dyno "tuning" to be done unless you want to get more HP out of the car than the stock tune that comes with the kit will allow, which is about 600 RWHP bone stock. I am sure that Paxton is conservative with the stock tune in the split second box - it will be on the rich side (extra fuel) with some timing pulled out to prevent problems from occuring when some ***** fills up with regular unleaded (although I'm sure no Viper owners would do this this). With a custom tune the tuner will be able to alter the fuel and timing curves to your specific engine to allow more power to be produced although the "safety" margin is reduced - everything has a price. I got an extra 70 HP at the rear wheels with a custom tune but don't forget I also installed the cat-back exhaust. I'm not sure how much HP could be gotten out of a custom tune with a bone stock car, if you're worried about it just leave it alone, the stock tune should be very safe.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Good advice Slither.

The Paxton kit works pretty well on a stock Viper. If you or some inexperienced tuner messes with your Paxton equipped car by changing the tuning too much or adding other mods, you will very likely need to switch to forged pistons or face a piston ring land failure. I know, I did.

Also, as Paul says above, boost is controlled by rpm's. Shift earlier to be safe.

You will love the power.

Dan

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I asked this question in the past but are any of you fellows running Superchargers on a stock motor up here in the Rockies?

I am seriously considering the Paxton once the extended warranty situation can be dealt with, BUT I have always struggled to get my supercharged vehicles running right at this altitude (approx 6250 ft). With the Paxton on and the Bellanger full exhuast, I will maybe be looking at 20% gain, if I am lucky. No air boys! Do I have to run a different electronics system to compensate for this lovely Rocky Mountain air or lack there of?

Also in looking through the Viper Magazine, I keep reading the article for the ATI Dampners and am not sure if I need one or not.

Fadi asked the question but not sure if someone answered it for him (and me)?

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kenric;

Are you running a Paxton on the 06'? If so, are you able to make it work "okay" with the stock Paxton electronics?

704 RWHP at the ole Albeqerky altitude is pretty impressive. Just curious what you are running and how you made it all work?

Thanks

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you meant to post this question on the Z06 forum. You have posted many times you would never go back to a Viper after having your 06 Z06. In fact so much it was disrespectfully so.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And Fadi has turned into the biggest Viper bashing ***** in existance over at the Alley.
Funny how things turn out. He was just a Viper wannabe and vette fanboy.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about this question...How Much $$$ ?

depends - if you pay someone to do a nice/clean job and tune it, expect to pay around $12k

8415engine1.jpg

if you want it really clean, expect to pay more
CIMG3603.JPG