Thinking about buying a Viper, but there is one big problem....

thebadbat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am considering picking up a 98-00 GTS, and am also looking into a Z-06.
I love Vipers, and have always wanted one, but I have a problem. I am 6'5 1/2"!!!! I am just afraid that I am too tall for a Viper, whereas the vette fits me perfectly! (Headroom is better, as well as legroom, adjusting pedals wont cut it for me) So, I had a question: Who here is tall like myself and drives a Viper? Whats the limit to be considered "comfortable" while driving?

The viper is already a tight cockpit, but I am afriand that my height may cause me to not consider buying one, even though they are hot, and the market is right.

Thanks,
TJ

c2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6'2 and weigh approx 250 and sat in a GTS and it was tight for me. I don't own a GTS yet but know that you can adjust the pedals and have the seat lowered..The best guy on this forum to talk to is Sun RA Kat. He is a yellow GTS owner who I believe is your height and at the time of purchase weighed over 300lbs. He will be more than happy to tell you all the modifications he did to help solve the room problem.
Jerry in Minnesota.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6'-4" and 225. I installed the Northwind 2" seat lowering kit and have just enough room to drive comfortably. If you go with the kit make sure to put some manner of spacers on the front seat bolts so as to retain the "bucket seat" feel. There is a post somewhere on the site that relates to this.

Also, don't get the thick/plush floor mats- they take away too much leg room!

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To buy another car over a Viper based on height would be a travesty!!! Moreso since your considering a GTS over RT, the GTS has a contoured roofline (gurney blisters) to allow for helmet use at the track as well as kick asp lines from the front or rear.

Sun Ra Kat should toss up his numbers, although his car is Yellow, they are a little slower than most colors, nonetheless his advice is valid on the size issue......:)

2tall from my area is around 6'6", have been to the track with him, he wears a helmet and still no issues. There is a seat lowering kit that gives an extra 2 inches I think from memory.

Good luck,

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sun Ra Kat should toss up his numbers, although his car is Yellow, they are a little slower than most colors,

Good luck,

Let me be the first to say how utterly disgusted we YELLOW owners are in respect to your complete lack of respect and unwillingness to accept the truth!

RACE YELLOW is and always will be the fastest color. As for the fastest car....well :smirk:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<font color="yellow">Yellow</font>? What the hell is <font color="yellow">yellow</font>?

<font color="silver">SILVER</font> RULES !!!

Sorry, for hijcking the thread

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sun Ra Kat should toss up his numbers, although his car is Yellow, they are a little slower than most colors,

Good luck,

Let me be the first to say how utterly disgusted we YELLOW owners are in respect to your complete lack of respect and unwillingness to accept the truth!

RACE YELLOW is and always will be the fastest color. As for the fastest car....well :smirk:

I am sorry to rain on your parades, but Sapphire Blue with Stripes has been proven to be the fastest color. :D

S

SUN RA KAT

Yellow is the fastest color, make no mistake about that. A Sapphire with Silver Stripes GTS and my Yellow GTS were sitting side by side at the local Dodge dealer - both with Roe Superchargers and both getting the VEC2 installed by our Viper Tech. His car was finished first and went out for a test drive, then my car was finished and went out for a test drive. His Sapphire car still had the slightest hint of ping and my Yellow Viper did not.

I'm 6'5" tall and a little over 300 pounds - I have the Northwind 2" seat lowering kits on both the driver's and passenger's seats. I also have them raised 1" in the front only for extra thigh support and leg room. Other than getting out of the seat, it is one of the most comfortable seats that I ever have been in. My only complaints are that I wish there was more leg room and I would like a hard pillow-like device to rest my right knee against and, lastly, with the 2" seat lowering kit it is like falling down to get into the car and it's like falling UP to get out of the car. (The falling UP part is hard to do.)

The Sapphire Blue, Silver, and Yellow are beautiful and insanely fast - and so are the other colors - pick what color you want and get it!

LPE 383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think some of it has to do with how you are built, IE longer legs, torso, etc. I am 6'3" and 220 and have no problem fitting in my GTS. I think the Viper is a bit more crowded than the vette for the normal person and that is just something you get accustomed to. The seat lowering kits do help for those that need the extra space.

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
International racing colors:
Italy = Red
England = Green
Germany = Silver

United States of America = Blue and White!
Go Team Blue!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte