Thinking about new rear gears?

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I've got a Gen 2, headers & exhaust only, will most likely do very few other mods, however, I was thinking about having a different gear installed in the rear end. Spoke with several people and they recommended 345 for the rear end, I'm not really concerned with loosing top end speed and was told this would really help the low end speed, although its not that common of a gear. Any suggestions or advise is welcome'd:drive:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could do a search, this topic has been hashed out a hundred times. In a nut shell here's my OPINION

Naturally aspirated up to 580 rwhp the 3:55's work great. Right at 580 I think a set of 3:45's would be better or a larger O.D. tire like 27" with 3:55 gears. Everyone's got an opinion, so here's mine.......buy the factory Mopar Performance third member with the 3:55 gear set. It includes a new Trac-Lok diff with gears and a drain plug. It even is pre-drilled for a cooling system which is now discontinued. It's factory set up, not aftermarket and is ready to swap in. If you look around you can get them for around $1,200. I personally don't believe in this chilled gear set B.S. the aftermarket is suckering people with. Factory parts work great and in this case they will run you less than 1/2 the cost of aftermarket parts.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My two cents: don't plan on going to shorter gears unless you are planning to run sticky rear tires. I love my 3.55s with standard height 18" GenII tires (equivalent to a 3.73 with taller GenIII 19" tires) but what makes them magic is being able to hook up via the Kumho V700s. Otherwise they would not be nearly as helpful.

OP
OP
2001-V10 Power Nut

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Phoenix, thanks for info, I am planning on buying Kuhmo's:drive:So your saying go with 3.45's or 3.55's with kuhmo's???

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got 3:55's with stock 17" wheels felt good. Changed to 19" rears and then it felt perfect. So if you stay with stock wheels I would suggest 3:33 and with 19's 3:55.

Car was not any quicker just less clutch on take off and a useable 6th gear.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with 3.33's. Kind of a compromise between stock and the common 3.55's. I'm running stock size Gen II 18" tires. Just back from lots of highway miles to and from VOI. At 65 mph in sixth gear I was running about 1,400 rpm. At 70 mph about 1,700 rpms. Most guys can't use sixth with stock gears.

IMHO, the best reason for a gear swap is "playing" on the street while already rolling. Not sure it really will change your 1/4 mile time especially without a sticky tire. However, on the street, you are much more likely to be in the sweet spot of the rpm range when you decide to get on it. My $.02

OP
OP
2001-V10 Power Nut

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Chuck, I'm gonna do both, but it was my understanding that switching gears would give me better low end take off, either street or strip, and better "punch" so to speak while goofing off, while I would loose a little top end speed, but I'm not that worried about it, at Sebring I've never been over 140 in my car

Greg
:D

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, I'm gonna do both, but it was my understanding that switching gears would give me better low end take off, either street or strip, and better "punch" so to speak while goofing off, while I would loose a little top end speed, but I'm not that worried about it, at Sebring I've never been over 140 in my car

Greg
:D

Gotcha. I can't say for myself. You know me - stocker (drivetrain anyway).

Have you got some lap times from Sebring to use as a baseline? It would be interesting to see if there is a difference.

OP
OP
2001-V10 Power Nut

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
i have the past 2 Viper days, 1st time all stocker, 2nd time headers exhaust, so I will have a good baseline

Greg

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure about the references to the size of wheels (18s or 19s)???

It is my understanding that the size of the wheel is insignificant. It is the height of the tire that affects your gear. Gear ratio is measured in the revs. of the axle. Therefore the distance traveled is longer with one revolution of the axle on a taller tire regardless of the wheel size.

I run 355s on my 01 S/C with BFG DRs. I drop the pressure down to about 18-20# when I need to "use" them. The gear is a little high for a s/c but I don't have any trouble shifting so it isn't an issue. I have 333s in my other cars.

My suggestion would be to get the 355s with mild mods.. It is 'seat of your pants" hp. You won't be sorry.