Thinking about switching to rear exhaust...

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know some have done this. I have full H ennessey exhaust, sounds good, but annoys me after long periods of time.

What could I get for my side pipes? Would an even trade for rear exhaust be fair?

Just curious...thanks

OP
OP
T

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm honestly not too sure what exactly the whole process would entail, cost etc.

yeah, if i did it, i would have to replace the side sills

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Thinking about switching to rear exhaust...

Just change mufflers maybe..

Dyno Max UltraMax mufflers were quiet enough on my '94 Viper.

They were over 6" diameter so there was a lot of muffling capacity inside (just fit under the sills).

Available in either 2.5" or 3" cores-wasn't much sound difference between the two cores sizes-I tried them both

They're stainless steel too :)

:usa:

OP
OP
T

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score

FE 065, i was considering that option as well

cheaper alternative, i would hate to give up the side pipe look

txlen

Enthusiast
Reaction score

yea...i'd do the muffler route...it'll take alot to do the switch...if you do the switch you will need the side sills off the other car..if you want to keep your old side sills think about this first..and look at the price of new sills....they are not cheap!!!...Len

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can get a Gen II take off catback exhaust for shipping cost. Lots of them around and if anybody tries to charge you much more than shipping tell them where they can shove their catback. Tator might have a few lying around. If not him call Levin or Macedo.

Before installing the Gen II system have the muffler replaced with a X-pipe. The HP and loudness will be increased slightly, the note will be increased dramatically.

The expense will be in the side sills and possibly the lower rear bumper (I don't recall if there is an exhaust cutout in the rear on a Gen I).

If you switch, I suggest keeping your original Gen I pieces (exhaust, sills and lower rear bumper section) in tact. With this body style no longer in production having the original pieces available and in good condition will help sell your Gen I if you ever decide to.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

what chuck said....but your car sounded great if ya ask me and the looks of the side pipes is the best.

I have an X pipe on mine and love the sound,

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Simply moving the ehaust exit point will not dramatically change what you hear inside the car during most driving situations. The "drone" which tends to be what irritates drivers is best approached by swapping the mufflers as noted above rather than swapping sills, rear fascia, running the plumbing around a now warmer differential (those pipes throw off a lot of heat, and if you are not moving you are cooking the diff).

OP
OP
T

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is Dynomax the most recommended? I want to quiet it down quite a bit

This weekend was acutally the second time my ears actually hurt after driving it. I've been driving the car alot since I got it, and longer trips were starting to deter me. Feels like I'm gonna go deaf if I keep up at this rate.

I cant find a comfortable RPM when cruizin like 70/75 on the highway...70mph in 5th is about 2K RPM (serious drone), & if i shift into 6th its just a low hum.

I dont think there are mufflers on it now, just 3" pipes from the cats

Anyone else recommend a specific muffler they've have luck with and sounds good?

Thanks -

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did you ever think of keeping the sides and going to a Corsa SRT10 side exhaust with high flow cats, there is no drone at all, just a little bit of welding,
Sidepipes look awsome.

FLX109

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tim, try plain old glass-packs. They're cheap and if you don't like them yer not out alot of money!!!! I have that on mine and I can "control" the drone with rpm's!!!!!!! Been on long trips and no sore ears!!!! :2tu: :2tu: :D

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't know what DynoMax offers nowadays..

8 years ago I went with the largest cannister I thought would fit under the sills.

At the time I knew of more than one owner who was pulling his aftermarket Borla side exhaust off because it was too loud.

The DynoMax's were like 6.25" in diameter and when I replaced my sills with the newer ones under the DC replacement program I had to massage some of that extra foil inside the sill for the Maxs to still fit.

As I remember I slid the exhaust turn out right into the end of the Dynomax mufflers. Which gives you an idea of how rearward the Max's were mounted.

I don't think there was room for them to be further forward, they were 30" long or so. So there was a lot of muffling capacity in those 6.25"x30" muffler bodies.

A muffler with a smaller OD just isn't going to be as quiet as a larger one.

I know a guy who put cheap glasspacks in his '95 Viper and took them right out again.

OP
OP
T

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks guys for the input

Called Chuck T today & he recommended a nice set-up by Roe (includes hi flo cats & mufflers)

Gonna check that out, along with Dynomax & glasspacks -

Anyone have a Roe set up? How does it sound?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've ridden in a few sidepiped Vipers.

I hate to contradict anything the Wizard may have told you but if you're annoyed by the sidepipes now I don't think there are any options for you than to go with rear exhaust.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tim,

I have the Roe with high flow cats and they sound pretty good. They are louder than stock but by no means make your ears ring. There is the "drone" at certain rpm's but it is most noticable with the top on. With top off cruising I think it sounds good, but it is not a perfect exhaust as I could do without the "drone" altogether.

Still better than stock though.

Jeff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960