Thinking of modifying my GEN I how much HP would I get If..........

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking of modifying my GEN I how much HP (on average) would I get if I did this:
VEC2
High Flow or no Cats
Smooth tubes (already have K&Ns)
Is there any way 50 Hp is hiding in those mods? Also how much should I expect to spend? How hard would it be to install these mods myself?
Thanks in advance!

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think for 50HP you need headers and exhaust. I have read here that Bellangers add the most power for our cars.

If I ever do more mods taht is what I will put on the car.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smooth tubes + high flow cats and mufflers got me around 30 HP if I remember correctly. It was worth it because it is a cheap upgrade and noticeable. Without changing the mufflers though you will still have a restriction of air flow. Of course doing headers too would be even better.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dump the cats and put some decent muffs on there. The factory muffs on a gen.1 are way restrictive. Doind that should get ya about 20 h.p. The vec.2 and the tubes will likely get ya the rest. :2tu:

been there, done that. :D

OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! Anyone Know the best place to purchace these items?
Headers
Muffler
VECII
High Flow Cats
Exhaust
I am trying to price everything out.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a new 3.45 ring and pinion for sale. PM me :)

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd go for an exhaust mod just to get the car to sound like it should.
A set of 3.55 gears and sticky Kuhmo tires will give you a feeling of more power.

Any mods you do to exhaust and intake will give you some extra power at higher rpm.
I don't think the restrictive nature of a stock exhaust makes much difference at street type rpm range.
In other words, open up the exhaust but don't expect a big kick in the a$$ from it.

A small nitrous kit will give you the kind of power you can feel.

Viper23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks! Anyone Know the best place to purchace these items?
Headers
Muffler
VECII
High Flow Cats
Exhaust
I am trying to price everything out.

Are you thinking about a NA, S/C or TT car? Cause if you are thinking about going TT, you don't need the headers. Cause I can assure you that your mod itch will not stop at the list above (cause that was what I told myself). Should you get a catback system like Corsa, it will come with everything you need except the HF cats.

Should you be thinking about getting a VEC II, the only person you need to talk to is Sean. He will let you know what goes best with the VEC II.

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will probably not get 50 hp out of those mods. I installed a good set of headers (SVSI), borla mufflers, roe high performance 3" cats, tubes/filters, aluminum flywheel,
Vec 1 and got 416 rwhp.

Added Crower cam, & mild headwork and got 447 rwhp. Made a big mistake here by not going all the way on the heads.

Added a Roe supercharger, vec2, 6.5 # boost, 70 mm t/b's, MSD fuel pump booster, 91 octane gas and a conservative tune and got 580 rwhp and 600 # torque.

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bellangers, high flow cats, dynomax race muffs and tubes/filters got me to where I am. I probably need to apply VecII next to get the extra 15-20hp I'm missing I've got a set of 3.55s ready to go as soon as I find a cheap gen II donor rear end to setup.
Red 93, which crower cam did you go with. I was considering this over doing the rockers since the genI doesn't respond as well to rockers. Another 30hp would rock! 450rwhp is genIII territory.

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
411 RWHP 486 RWTQ

S&B filters... tubes... Roe exhaust cat back. 3.55 gears don't hurt either ;)

Thanks!! That is exactly what I am in the process of doing to my 94 right now, well with the expection of the filters, I went K&N.

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the Crower street grind, billet cam. I would not recommend Crower to do business with. To make a long story short, they sent me the wrong cam grind. I learned the hard way. Car would not start after the install. Almost tore out my hair troubleshooting and spent a lot of time & money in the process. Finally sent the car to Dan Cragin and he got it sorted out. It in fact was the wrong cam.
To only get another 31 rwhp with mild head work, t&d's & the Crower cam plus all my previous mods was very disappointing. Please note that Dan had nothing to do with creating the problem, he's the guy that verified that it was the wrong cam and got the car running.

OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. Probibly will never SC or TT my car. But will be thinking about the other mods. The reason I just want to do the cats, VecII, and smooth tubes is because I could do it for around $1500 or around $1200 no cats. Pretty good dollar to HP ratio.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
411 RWHP 486 RWTQ

S&B filters... tubes... Roe exhaust cat back. 3.55 gears don't hurt either ;)

Thanks!! That is exactly what I am in the process of doing to my 94 right now, well with the expection of the filters, I went K&N.

Don't forget new plugs and wires right before you dyno. It will add up to 10 RWHP. :eek:

Ask JonB about his and others experiences.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Don't forget new plugs and wires right before you dyno. It will add up to 10 RWHP."

Yeah, and if you change them twice you get 20hp.

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A set of Belangers in combination of highflow cats is the best bang for bucks when talking about a Gen1 Viper. That will give you a esy 50 hp. I did that and tubes&filters and the car did 11.85/120 on the 1/4 mile...wich should equal to at least 450 hp.

OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A set of Belangers in combination of highflow cats is the best bang for bucks when talking about a Gen1 Viper. That will give you a esy 50 hp. I did that and tubes&filters and the car did 11.85/120 on the 1/4 mile...wich should equal to at least 450 hp.

Just Belangers, highflow Cats, Tubes and Filters and you ran a 11.85/120! Arn't Belangers just $500? If so I think I might have to give that a try.

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jp has a ringer viper. I've never seen a gen I with tubes and full exhaust with 450rwhp. Most with these mods (like mine) are (400-410). Gen Is baseline 350-360 rwhp.

ericj96

VCA Member
Reaction score
Opnwide knows what he is talking about.

All BS asside gen ones are lucky in most cases to hit 400 RWHP with smooth tubes, filters, borla (or any one else) cat back and stock cats. Cat replacement with 2.5" stainless tubes plus above yields 410 RWHP if you are lucky.

Eric

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do what I did. Tubes, filters, 1.7 rockers, exhaust. Ordered my nitrous today from Nitro Daves. I am aiming for at least 600 hp with those mods.