This can't be right

CSXT802

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took the viper to have the state inspection the other day. It passed, but the tech doing it pointed out some things I should take care of. Now this car has a Stop Tech brake kit on it. The rear brake hose and e-brake cable routing are poor at best. Is this kit missing something.? For now I'm not driving the car until I figure out something to get the hose and cable off the upper A-arm.:mad:

Attachments

• IMG_2018.jpg
    IMG_2018.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2024.jpg
    IMG_2024.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_2025.jpg
    IMG_2025.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2021.jpg
    IMG_2021.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_2022.jpg
    IMG_2022.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 128

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's actually common with a/m brake kits. One of the vendors should come up with better hardware for securing the lines.

OP
OP
CSXT802

CSXT802

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's actually common with a/m brake kits. One of the vendors should come up with better hardware for securing the lines.

Really.? I would be worried about rub through. I was thinking of making a bracket that would come off the upper a-arm mounting bolts.

DanielR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To prevent rubbing, you can tie a zip tie around the brake line with enough slack to slip in another zip tie that will tie around the control arm. Kind of like a set of chain links.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happened to me and my buddy in 2002 is we ran the Open Track Challenge (7 tracks in 7 days) he had a 2002 and I had a 2000 so we decided to run the 2002 GTS and we used my CCW wheels off the 2000. Well the Stoptech brakes would not clear the 17" rear wheels and we had to grind down the bleeder screw, good enough.

Well we didn't check the routing on the brake line and it rubbed against the wheel balance weights and the brake line broke on Sunday, in Phurump Nv. I had to drive 100 miles each way to Baker, Ca. to meet a person who drove from Cali with another brake line so we could get a qualifying 3 laps in on the first day of the event so we were not disqualified. I got back and we put it on in time to get 4 laps in before the session was over.....whew.

Long story short make sure the brake line is routed right and is not hitting anything.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That line is routed just as i did mine. There is Nothing wrong with zip ties. I do em looser so the SS line can move back and forth alittle without pulling on the banjo fitting or connection to the frame.

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To prevent rubbing, you can tie a zip tie around the brake line with enough slack to slip in another zip tie that will tie around the control arm. Kind of like a set of chain links.

That's a good suggestion.

I'm surprised there isn't a different solution, seems crazy to me to zip-tie a line like that. I guess with frequent inspection it's ok, but still seems odd. :dunno:

OP
OP
CSXT802

CSXT802

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would think that for what these kits cost they would have a better setup than zip ties to the A-arm.

F

FrgMstr

You would think that for what these kits cost they would have a better setup than zip ties to the A-arm.

Have to totally agree with you. That looks pretty darn cheesy. At least some HDPE mounting pads to run the lines down to isolate them, and those would cost little to have produced and not leave the kit feeling unfinished.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is common. To my knowledge there are no brackets made for the A-arms to hold the ebrake cable or lines. I had thought about designing one and getting it to Mark at ipsco but I have since moved and do not have access to any tools or space comfortable to work on my car.

OP
OP
CSXT802

CSXT802

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a couple of ideas for a mount for the line. I'll see if I have some time at work tonight to make one.:smirk:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put a short piece of rubber tubing between the hose and the arm.

You must be registered for see images

Please note the complaint-free content. Dave, contemporary mod-rice Viper/Ricer owner, and I approve this message.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yup I had to zip tie my ss lines to the a arms :omg:

I had my brake lines zip-tied after my Big Brake Kit was installed in September of 2009 at Tator's; however, within 3 months my front passenger side brake line snapped and brake fluid was gushing out everywhere. I was told from a local mechanic the zip-ties most likely caused tension not allowing them to fully move when the wheels turned and the brake line broke. I had to buy 2 new steel brake lines for the front of the car and this time did not not zip-tie them. Had the car up on the lift, and fully turned the steering wheel all the way to the left and to the right, and there was no rubbing and have been no issues what so ever since. I just had my KW2 coilovers installed in March though, and they actually tied them off again, a lot more zip-ties this time. The shop claimed it will be a lot safer so we'll see if they snap again, unless the first one was faulty.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lines from BBD are the correct length, the correct brackets, and have zero issues with mounting. Get them from Parts Rack.

Please note the complaint-free content. Dave, contemporary mod-rice Viper/Ricer owner, and I approve this message.

OP
OP
CSXT802

CSXT802

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put a short piece of rubber tubing between the hose and the arm.

Thanks. That is nice and simple. I think I'll do that. That will give me plenty of time to come up with a bracket.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought it was a weird setup when I saw it for the first time as well Darren but everything is installed according to the directions. Even the person who installed the brakes commented on the zip ties. I didn't like how close the brake line came to the top of the CCW wheels I had but what could I do?
I agree, something needs to be corrected and done differently especially for how much this kit costs!! You have to admit though...............that thing stops like, now! ;)

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the ss lines i got from BBD from partsrack has a nice coupling bracket but does not have the steal tube bracket which is part of the stock line, you need to tie wrap per BBD instructions

The lines from BBD are the correct length, the correct brackets, and have zero issues with mounting. Get them from Parts Rack.

OP
OP
CSXT802

CSXT802

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought it was a weird setup when I saw it for the first time as well Darren but everything is installed according to the directions. Even the person who installed the brakes commented on the zip ties. I didn't like how close the brake line came to the top of the CCW wheels I had but what could I do?
I agree, something needs to be corrected and done differently especially for how much this kit costs!! You have to admit though...............that thing stops like, now! ;)

No doubt the car stops great. I would not have thought twice about the zip ties, but the guy doing the inspection made A point about a possible rub through.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here's how I did my fronts - very similar to the OEM setup. I used a short piece of annealed brake tubing with the ends flared, then ran a long tie-wrap thru it and pulled the hose snug. The standoff keeps the hose from kinking or flopping around, and it's all very tidy.

Last edited:

jimi_craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if it was me i would take a heater hose slice down center then put that around the line where it will most likely be zipped tied to the control arm but thats just me.

OP
OP
CSXT802

CSXT802

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. I made some mounting brackets last night. Let me know what you think. Don't hold back. :D

Attachments

• IMG_2029.jpg
    IMG_2029.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2030.jpg
    IMG_2030.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2031.jpg
    IMG_2031.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2032.jpg
    IMG_2032.jpg